Very stupid egg question

Quote:
pizza???? oh blech!
sickbyc.gif
Girl!

i didn't say i drink it with pizza...that's the divider in the question!

group A...OJ and breakfast
group B....OJ and pizza

and let's not forget
group C...OJ an spaghetti

I knew what you meant - pizza and OJ??? Oh dear.
th.gif

Quote:
Fresh eggs just don't peel well, even if you stand on your head while peeling. Use your oldest eggs for hard boiling or leave some out on the counter to age before boiling.

My friend has several hundred chickens. During our holiday dinner at work, I suggested he bring Deviled Eggs due to his high production each day. This guy seriously gathers eggs everyday and sells dozens and dozens of eggs per week. I told him to bring 5 or 6 dozen deviled. The next a.m. he walks in with about 1-1/2 dozen deviled. He said that he forgot that "real" home grown eggs do not break open like the old store bought ones. The membranes stick and cause you to tear the egg all to pieces trying to get the shell off after boiling. I know his eggs are the freshest of the fresh. He said he had to toss about 4 dozen cause he messed them all up trying to get the shell off. I'd say the fresher, the harder the membrane!

Quote:
Fresh eggs just don't peel well, even if you stand on your head while peeling. Use your oldest eggs for hard boiling or leave some out on the counter to age before boiling.

That used to be the case, but then someone posted this:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=115799

It looks like the boiled egg mystery has been solved... just a few days ago I followed these instructions and successfully hard boiled a dozen freshly laid eggs without a single torn egg white.
big_smile.png

When I was peeling eggs to devil, and tore up some whites, I set those aside and used them for egg salad. I chop them up with a pastry cutter, works great.

Since then, I read someplace to just barely cover the eggs with water, bring to a boil for a minute or two, with a lid on, (just so the whites have gotten cooked enough not to ooze) then lightly shake the pan so the eggs bang around and crack a just a little. Then put a lid on the pan, continue boiling for your preferred length of time, (I like my a little less done than some, so the yolks are solid but still bright orange) and let cool, with cold water if you like. That way water gets inside the shells and they almost slide off.

Back
Top Bottom