Very swollen foot on rooster.

I've found that getting them back with their "family" is the best medicine regardless the illness or injury. They just heal better. If isolated and alone they seem to lose the will to live. The only time I've isolated a bird is when they had a major injury that needed to be stitched, as when a dog got one, or needed to be off all food/water like when I operate for impacted crop. Even then, I use a dog kennel and keep it in the coop where they can still see everyone and everyone can see them. Then when they are released they haven't lost their place in the flock and don't get picked on.

Sounds like your roo may end up with the same condition as mine (footless). For whatever reason, in my roo's case, it spread from the back toe to the entire foot but did not go up the leg at all. The foot kept turning blacker and blacker and then started drying up. Toes broke off first and then what was left of the pad. It left his spur which he used as a foot and for balance for a long time but he eventually broke it off or wore it down. Now he has the leg which he uses when he wants to stand or have balance and when he wants to "run" he hops/flys pretty fast on his one leg using his other one like he's on an old fashioned scooter or skateboard. I'll see if I can get a pic of him. Just want you to know there's hope even if he loses the foot.

I am so sorry about your roo!
icare.gif
I thought it might be Bumblefoot but the stories about a snake bite sounds plausible. I am so glad I don't have to deal with poisonous snakes--they give me nightmares!!
155fs505059.gif

I am rooting for your boy.
fl.gif

Here's a couple of shots I was able to get of my roo. Since he was one of my first roos - he'll always be special to me. He gets along just fine "footless".

footless1.jpg

footless2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom