VERY UPSET!! 4 Dead Ducklings W/Deformities

Has anyone concidered that maybe the temperature in the incubator was too high? Maybe you have an inaccurate thermometer? If the eggs were hatching at 26 days, maybe the chicks hadn't developed enough to hatch properly. My runners often don't hatch untill day 30 or 32, or sometimes even later! AND it seems like the ones later in the hatching season take longer to hatch then the ones from earlier, ie. spring.

Lastly, DON'T HANDLE THE EGGS! Candle once a week (max), and sit on your hands the rest of the time. It's hard to do, especially the first time, but you live and learn, and it gets easier with each batch you hatch.

And where does Funnybunnie live? If its not TOO cold outside, I'd let momma duck hatch the eggs, and maybe let her raise 2 babies (she should be able to handle 2 and keep them warm), and take the others away. Ducks can't count anyway.

I'm on the NW side of Michigan by the lakes. The temps have been ranging lately in the mid 50s-low 60's by day and mid upper 30's-40's at night and getting colder. We already had a frost advisory a couple days ago. But it still comes down to even if momma did hatch them, they won't have enough plumage to keep them warm when the snow starts falling, and that honestly here in Michigan has happened before, before Halloween, and would get several inches well before Thanksgiving.

I don't remember and don't want to search through all of the threads to find out what kind of cage mom is in. Can you just beef it up a bit with extra boards on the sides and when the little ones hatch hang a light in there for warmth. I would let her hatch them and try to keep it as natural as possible for as long as you can. With a good shelter the mom should be able to keep them warm. At one point you mentioned bring them all to the basement, mom included. I think that would be easier after they hatch. They don't need to be candled or handled. She's young and you can keep an eye on them when they hatch and see what kind of mom she's going to be.

Personally I would leave the eggs with the broody duck and let her hatch them.

My call duck mutts will hatch when it is still freezing and snowing out. Mom always takes care of the babies - I just give them feed and a water container that the babies can get out of (very important), and a wind break (mine also have dog igloos to get into).

No matter what happens with the duckings, it is an important lesson for you and her both. For her, she needs the experience to become a good broody - some of my ducks need to hatch a clutch or two before they become good moms. I keep an eye on them and will pull duckings that are in danger - but momma duck needs to learn.

And for you, watching a duck and her ducklings is an incredible thing and teaches you to trust in the duck and in mother nature.

If you pull the eggs and put them in lock down - how will you know if the deformity problems are genetic or problems with your bator/thermometer/humidity.....etc.

If she hatches them and they are deformed you are fairly certain there are some problems in your line (too close maybe) - if they hatch and are fine......your incubator needs some attention (possibly).

hugs.gif
and good luck, no matter what you decide to do.

Deformities are not caused by the incubator. If it is too hot they die before they even get to the hatching point. A little bit on the warm end can make them hatch early, but does not cause deformities either. A little bit on the cool end makes it longer, but not much either. Too cold makes them die before term. None of them cause deformities. I don't consider one day to early. Duckies have their own schedule too. Just like human babies, they are never on target either. That is why you go into lock down a few days before the calculated hatching date. You have some that are early and some that are late. It's nature. Ducklings are not machines on a timer. She has a very good incubator that has been calibrated by the maker and is usually right on. I would not change the thing. I also don't think that she lets her duck sit on eggs again. It would be a nightmare to go through all the deformities again. What really tips the scale towards a genetic defect is that they all have identical deformities. We already know the the mother duck has a defect, we just didn't know if it was genetic. She has two healthy ducklings so far and we hope for a few more. I think next year she will get some eggs from another duck and hatch those. I gladly give some of my Saxony ducks, if she likes.

Deformities can actually be caused by incubation irregularites. Temperature- humidity and turning if not correct can all result in different types of deformites in hatchlings. Some are correctable- and others can be fatal. Temp spikes even for a short time can also lead to deformation depending on at what stage it happens.

I had them in the Genesis Hova Bator from GQF Manufacturing where the temp is pre-set, and humidity was fluctuating a lot from 55-65% but temp remained always at 99.5-100, and I had them on their side on a goose egg turner to do all the turning.

Back
Top Bottom