Very very bad night

Russ13

Chirping
018977D1-BFB9-454A-9A39-71DE1DF27D1E.jpeg
I’m not sure how this happened. I have an automatic door so it’s possible the raccoon got trapped inside when the door closed and this was his way out. Or if he came in this way somehow. I’ll save you all from seeing the interior photos. But it was very bad. The stuff just under the opening is feathers. There are feathers everywhere.

I'm so sorry this happened (and for my reaction trouble as I definitely do not "love" this). For future information, it's a good idea to sandwich the hardware cloth in between something. If you reattach the hardware cloth like it was and then use sturdy strips of wood over the edges to sandwich the hardware cloth. It's much more difficult for a predator to remove that way instead of just pulling out in one direction. Again I'm so sorry

I'm so sorry this happened (and for my reaction trouble as I definitely do not "love" this). For future information, it's a good idea to sandwich the hardware cloth in between something. If you reattach the hardware cloth like it was and then use sturdy strips of wood over the edges to sandwich the hardware cloth. It's much more difficult to remove that way instead of just pulling. Again I'm so sorry
Maybe I could make a frame around the outside of the openings with 2x4s and drive nails all the way through.

So sorry for your losses, awful!
Here we use fencing staples to attach the hardware cloth to framing, then 1'x 4" boards screwed to the framing over the top of the hardware cloth. And on the lower 4' of our run section, 2" 4" woven wire fencing sandwiched in there too.
IMG_0224.JPG

The windows have the hardware cloth attached from the inside the same way, with 1"x 2" framing screwed into the building framing.
Most of us have learned the hard way that predator proofing can't be overdone!
Mary

So sorry for your losses, awful!
Here we use fencing staples to attach the hardware cloth to framing, then 1'x 4" boards screwed to the framing over the top of the hardware cloth. And on the lower 4' of our run section, 2" 4" woven wire fencing sandwiched in there too.
View attachment 3119899

The windows have the hardware cloth attached from the inside the same way, with 1"x 2" framing screwed into the building framing.
Most of us have learned the hard way that predator proofing can't be overdone!
Mary
No such thing as overkill.

Had a similar thing happen in my smaller less secure coop. It's a light weight one. my juveniles are in it. Coon pulled the wire in one area and grabbed the only roo. Hubby took some boards and sandwiched the wire. It was literally the only wire not covered. He ate the whole chicken. First chicken I've lost in two years..hubby was mad. Said any animal in the yard that wasn't ours was getting shot. Our bigger secure coop hasn't been broken in. I'm sorry about you Chickies. Use the anger and get constructive :hugs

Back
Top Bottom