Very watery poo in 6 wk old

My Three Chicks

Crowing
May 3, 2021
Seattle, WA
I have a 6-wk old Ameraucana still brooding in the house with her 2 sisters for another week or two. She is very healthy and active and growing fast! She drinks a lot of water and has very watery poo. Sometimes less watery than others. Attached photo is typical though (regular and cecal). It's been this way for probably 2 weeks. I wasn't concerned because she is 'normal' otherwise. But since it still persists I thought I should check in with you all.

Let me know if i should be concerned or if you have any recommendations.

Attachments

• 20230506_115312.jpg
    20230506_115312.jpg
    398.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 20230506_121748.jpg
    20230506_121748.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Has this chick consistently had watery poop since her first week? If so, this may simply be her default poop type due to a weird fixation on drinking a lot of water.

I had such a chick. I was very worried when I noticed her watery splorts from her first day. She was always at the waterer sucking up water. This continued all her eight years of life. She almost never passed a solid poop, yet she was perfectly healthy her entire life.

Watch the behavior. When you see such poop in a chick that is acting "off", lethargic and inappetite, then you have cause to worry.

If these chicks are still under heat, that could be driving this problem. Chicks do not need any heat after five weeks.

Has this chick consistently had watery poop since her first week? If so, this may simply be her default poop type due to a weird fixation on drinking a lot of water.

I had such a chick. I was very worried when I noticed her watery splorts from her first day. She was always at the waterer sucking up water. This continued all her eight years of life. She almost never passed a solid poop, yet she was perfectly healthy her entire life.

Watch the behavior. When you see such poop in a chick that is acting "off", lethargic and inappetite, then you have cause to worry.

If these chicks are still under heat, that could be driving this problem. Chicks do not need any heat after five weeks.
Thank you for the reply.
No, she had regular poo (not watery) until maybe 2 or so weeks ago. She has always seemed like she drinks more than the other 2 though.
I have a heat lamp on when it's below 70 in the house since one of her sisters is a week younger. But there's plenty of space to be away from the heat.

Very similar to my situation! My 4 week old Giant Cochin recently started pooping watery clear poops with very little solid matter — if any. Last week her poops were normal. Lots of sneezing that came on fast in the last few weeks from all four chicks, so wondering if infectious bronchitis is making its way through the young flock. My other suspicion is coccidiosis. I’m wondering if should add apple cider vinegar and/or Corid to their water (not sure if these can be mixed). Hopefully others will add to this thread soon.

How’s your Ameraucana doing these days? I’m still seeing a lot of clear poops like your first pic in my Giant Cochin, and now I see that my Golden Comet has started doing the same. They both used to have solid poops. I’m wondering if it’s related to an illness or feed… Feeding them free medicated Purina chick starter and treating for coccidiosis with Corid as a precaution. They’re 5 weeks old.

How’s your Ameraucana doing these days? I’m still seeing a lot of clear poops like your first pic in my Giant Cochin, and now I see that my Golden Comet has started doing the same. They both used to have solid poops. I’m wondering if it’s related to an illness or feed… Feeding them free medicated Purina chick starter and treating for coccidiosis with Corid as a precaution. They’re 5 weeks old.
Hi ChalieBaby. My Ameraucana still has watery poo. But she has normal poo too. She's healthy otherwise and gaining weight and growing.
My Easter Egger has had some watery poo as well. But again healthy otherwise. They are 6-7 weeks old now and were vaccinated for Coccidiosis and Mareks from the hatchery. Mine eat Scratch & Peck Grower crumble.

I'm assuming mine are fine and not treating them with anything. Hope its the right thing to do!

Are yours still having the respiratory symptoms?

Hi ChalieBaby. My Ameraucana still has watery poo. But she has normal poo too. She's healthy otherwise and gaining weight and growing.
My Easter Egger has had some watery poo as well. But again healthy otherwise. They are 6-7 weeks old now and were vaccinated for Coccidiosis and Mareks from the hatchery. Mine eat Scratch & Peck Grower crumble.

I'm assuming mine are fine and not treating them with anything. Hope its the right thing to do!

Are yours still having the respiratory symptoms?
Thanks for the update. Glad to hear they’re doing okay! My chicks are still sneezing a bit, but no rattling like before. I’m hoping it’s a weird quirk similar to yours. So hard to know with sweet little chicks!

Back
Top Bottom