Very weak duckling! Help!

the4citychickens

In the Brooder
Aug 24, 2019
My one day old duckling hatched yesterday and can’t stand up straight. She keeps falling over and can’t open her eyes or keep her head up straight. Is there no chance of her surviving? I tried giving her a bit of non-medicated chick food mixed with warm water and it didn’t seem to have done anything. I have critical care by oxbow and was wondering if that would be ok to try. She keeps rolling up like she’s still in the egg. I don’t know what to do. Please help!

If you can clean off her face with some warm water it might help, sometimes the goop from the egg can dry on their eyes and seal them shut.

At one day old she is still mostly living off the absorbed yolk sack. Hopefully she will get some more nutrition from that and will get some strength.

@chickens really is there anything else that can be done at this stage?

Put the Duckling in a margarine container on a bed of paper towel and do not give it anything by mouth. It's absorbing the yolk from its belly so that can take upwards to 36 hours. Leave it in the incubator..if nothing else is wrong with it ? It should find its feet and survive.

Put the Duckling in a margarine container on a bed of paper towel and do not give it anything by mouth. It's absorbing the yolk from its belly so that can take upwards to 36 hours. Leave it in the incubator..if nothing else is wrong with it ? It should find its feet and survive.
The duckling occasionally kicks it’s legs around frantically while its laying on its side. It looks a little like a seizure. I feel terrible and don’t know what I can do to help. I really hope she/he pulls through

Back
Top Bottom