Very Weak Quail that is always trying sleep

Kingbobkingdom

birds, sky, stars
Premium Feather Member
Aug 12, 2021
Alabama
Hi! I have a female coturnix quail, around 2 and a half years old that isn’t moving much. Could it be illness or a deficiency of some sort? I have no idea. Something may be wrong with her legs or that she didn’t get enough to eat. Here are some facts:
  • She can limp around, but only to eat and drink. She still has an appetite, though it is much less than the quail around her.
  • The other quail act normal (active, eating, etc.)
  • The poop seems brown and normal, but recently it was green, so I added supplements to the feed. They eat chicken feed and I add some berries, mealworms, and vegetables. I did research on what is poisonous/harmful to them, so I doubt that it is the food affecting her.
  • We just moved less than a week ago, so stress could be one of the factors since she was in a box for 13 hours, but with access to food and drink.
  • She was laying previous to the move, but now she stopped.
  • Right now, they are living in a tote with paper towels as bedding (I change it every day). I will move them once a proper enclosure is built.
  • I put them outside today but since I noticed that mosquitoes were constantly in the box, I moved them into the house.
  • The other quail peck her and she always flicks her head.
  • Her feathers are puffed up and she seems weak when I hold her.
    D8E2CD59-37B2-4425-B6B7-165158AB5649.jpeg

2 and a half is fairly old for a coturnix quail. Her eyes look a bit swollen too.

Are any of your other birds showing symptoms?
Are the treats that you're adding to her feed more than 10% of her diet? She could probably use some more protein, which the mealworms provide, but they are also high in fat. You might try giving her a bit of boiled, crushed egg yolk. The green poop implies that she hasn't been eating.
What kind of supplements are you adding?

Thank you for replying!
I figured that part of the problem was that she was not eating. She actually laid an egg. I will add some egg yolk to her feed. I isolated her, too.

The other birds seem fine. They are not trying to sleep and eat a good amount.

Back
Top Bottom