Very weird question, but have always wondered....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by muscovy94, Nov 20, 2011.

1. muscovy94

muscovy94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    You know how some hens lay double yolked eggs, and sometimes they hatch? Well I've always wondered, if you take a very large chicken egg, cut a clean hole off the top, empty out the egg, and then take 2 small banty eggs, cut a hole off the top of them, and then empty everything from the banty eggs into the shell of the very large chicken egg, and then re-attach the top, could the 2 banty eggs inside the very large egg form and hatch as a double yolked egg? I've always been curious.

2. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    I guess you could try it.....................

3. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I doubt it would hatch too many varibles and chance of bacteria getting in. If you do try keep us informed.

4. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Anything is possible, but I would have to say No. You would be detaching it from the cell wall. Making the yolk very unstable, sloshing around.

5. TheHalfWayCoop

TheHalfWayCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Campbellville Ontario
    I could be wrong, but I think I read somewhere that double yolkers seldom make it to hatch because the chicks both have to make it to the air cell and usually they end up fighting over it and killing eachother? I think I read that in Chicken! magazine or Mother Earth News or something. I might have misunderstood though [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by