Very worried about goat disease exposure, but

notmygoat

Hatching
May 11, 2020
My son and his wife just bought 2 dwarf goats (maybe Nigerian dwarf or pigmy goats?) within the last 2 weeks. 1 pregnant, 1 only 5 months old. The mom goat was dues in 2 more weeks per the seller, but yesterday while my son was gone at a family function, the goat gave birth to 3 babies in the goat house. 2 were alive and 1 was still in the sac however the sac was removed from the baby's mouth and face area. This goat was 2 times the size of the other baby goats. My daughter in law called frantic as they only had chicken experience. I went over and took the baby in towels and rubbed it vigorously and made sure it's mouth was suctioned and even blew into it's mouth with a straw. It never did come around. Sad but I realize it's part of the life cycle. My big concern now is did this baby goat have a disease that I am now at high risk of contracting? I have never had any farm animals and never been around them much. I just tried to resuscitate the baby goat as I did for a puppy one time a few years back. It never crossed my mind about having a disease as the cause of death. I was just trying to save the life of a baby goat. After some research this morning, I see there are many reasons for goat deaths, especially disease. I am terrified that I exposed myself to some very bad disease and am super worried. I have small children at home and am worried! Please any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Welcome!
To be sure, that kid could be necropsied at your state veterinary lab, which is never a bad idea. Otherwise, their vet can test their goats for some of the diseases you probably read about. I'd hope some of that has been done, as routine preventative care anyway, but you can ask.
Odds are, it's fine, but worrying about it isn't better either.
It was wonderful of you to try to save that kid's life!
Mary

Welcome!
To be sure, that kid could be necropsied at your state veterinary lab, which is never a bad idea. Otherwise, their vet can test their goats for some of the diseases you probably read about. I'd hope some of that has been done, as routine preventative care anyway, but you can ask.
Odds are, it's fine, but worrying about it isn't better either.
It was wonderful of you to try to save that kid's life!
Mary
Thank You for your reply.

Thank you for getting back with me.
I'm thinking the bigger kid was born first and quickly the other two. Momma was under stress and wasn't too sure what to do so the first kids lungs didn't clear because the Doe was still in active labour and confused.
Possibly a long labour also and the sack broke and the kid drowned during the delivery if it was stuck a bit before she was able to deliver it.

Last edited:
I'm thinking the bigger kid was born first and quickly the other two. Momma was under stress and wasn't too sure what to do so the first kids lungs didn't clear because the Doe was still in active labour and confused.
Possibly a long labour also and the sack broke and the kid drowned during the delivery if it was stuck a bit before she was able to deliver it.
Thank you. I'm hoping that's the scenario, verses the other of possible disease. I'm thinking since the other 2 are doing good, it had to be something birth related. Google can be helpful or stressful for someone like me with no experience but a desire to help. I didn't realize how many diseases goats could carry. The other goats all seem in very good health and the mom has vaccination records so hopefully I'm good.

Back
Top Bottom