Very worried about my chicken, please help.

krisyhd

Hatching
Aug 9, 2016
Assonet, MA
Yesterday I went to let them all out of the coop and all came out but her. I looked in and she was leaning against the wall with her eyes closed. She eventually made her way to the ramp and slowly went down it. Once she got down she slowly walked over to the chicken wire in the run and leaned her head against it with her eyes closed. After that all she would do is either lay down or stand still with her eyes closed so I brought her inside when it was dark and cool and put electrolytes in her water.Now I just went down stairs to check on her and she's sort of drooling. I don't now what to do she's an 11 week old Americana and has been healthy otherwise. Please help, I'll be devistated if I lose her.

Coccidiosis can be a problem at this age. Symptoms are lethargy, puffing up or hunched posture, not eating, runny poops with mucus or blood, and extreme weakness. Treatment is Corid (amprollium) in the water for 5 days. Dehydration or being kept from food could also be a possibility. Make sure she is drinking water with electrolytes. How does her crop feel-- empty, full, soft, or hard? Check her skin around the vent and elsewhere for mites or lice.

I actually just checked her crop and it was very full so I massaged it and it drained quite a bit. I'm think impacted crop? I'm hoping for miracles in the morning and that I've given her some relief, otherwise, I will be buying corid in the morning. Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom