Vet collapsed egg in egg bound bantam

BerphreyChicks

Hatching
Jun 23, 2021
Does anyone have experience with an egg bound hen having her egg collapsed by a vet? I took her in Tuesday and they gave her oxytocin shots and sent her home to return on Thursday if she hadn’t laid her egg by then. Thursday came and I took her back, they gave her oxytocin and calcium shots and tried to manipulate the egg out with no success. The removed 1/3 of the eggs contents and collapsed it but couldn’t reach it to remove the shell. She was sent home with antibiotics. It’s been two and a half days and she hasn’t passed the shell yet. I was doing warm epsom salt baths but that seemed to stress her out so I have her set on a heating pad at night. She acts fine, eats and drinks well, free ranges the yard during the day. I’m just curious how long it would take her to pass the shell? Anyone have any similar experience?

Giving her more calcium will help her pass the remainder of the egg. The vet should have put her on a round of an antibiotic. She should be getting it during this ordeal to prevent infection from the yolk. It would be wise to insist on this or risk a chronic reproductive infection that could set in long term and eventually kill her.

Give one calcium tablet per day until she passes the egg remains. This is what I recommend as it is absorbed most easily of the three forms of calcium.
F57D4B6B-216D-49EC-A92C-3DFAF3C5915E.jpeg

Giving her more calcium will help her pass the remainder of the egg. The vet should have put her on a round of an antibiotic. She should be getting it during this ordeal to prevent infection from the yolk. It would be wise to insist on this or risk a chronic reproductive infection that could set in long term and eventually kill her.

Give one calcium tablet per day until she passes the egg remains. This is what I recommend as it is absorbed most easily of the three forms of calcium. View attachment 2746957
Is this an okay dose for her? She’s 1 pound

Back
Top Bottom