Vet refuses to put our dog down, suggestions?

I am sooo sorry! That is a very difficult decision to make, then to have to deal with that! There comes a time when you know that it's the right thing to do...
hugs.gif

I read most of the pages, skimmed through some- and also read a quite insulting post about assistants. I am an educated licensed veterinary technician- and my role in the hospital is to gather the history of the animal, make suggestions to the owner, and to the vet, offer up ideas, etc etc etc among all the other nursing care that I do. I do know the patients better than the vets in my hospital, I spend more time with the animals than they do, and I spend more time with the owners and hear about everything- including family issues, etc- whatever they want to talk about. I took an oath to be the voice of the animal among the medical training that I had- and take my oath seriously.

Our hospital does convenience euthanasias- and I hate it very much- someone once brought in their pets because they shed- and we euthanized them. It is a very heart-wrenching job. I definitely did not go to school to be the person who gets rid of an animal just because it sheds. But, it is the position I accepted at this hospital I work for. If I cant do it, I am free to find a job somewhere that won't do convenience euthanasias.

I cannot tell someone that it is time for them to euthanize their pet. Granted, i have seen many pets suffering that the owner cannot just let go and end the suffering and I have suggested to them that euthanasia may be the best thing at this point-but in the end, to euthanize or not, is the owners decision. The decision whether I agree or not. I must abide by that decision, and do so professionally. My opinion is irrelevant when the time comes. There are some owners who really are not sure what to do- and I tell them, think of three things their pet loves to do. When two of those three things become impossible, it may be time to consider ending the suffering.( For example- chasing a frisbee, running through the yard, jumping up on the couch and looking out the window. A housebroken pet that can no longer control its bladder or bowels also suffers because they were trained it is wrong to go in the house, yet they are not able to get to outside before they go-and they know they are supposed to. Urine burns the skin, and one urinating on itself must be kept very clean- continual bathing of a pet is also stressful. ) There are some pets that I believe could improve with medical help, but the owner is either unwilling or financially unable or some other reason unable to give that treatment- and they choose to euthanize. That is their decision and my opinion is not relevant. It is the owners decision, it is their pet, and is their right to do so. I must respectfully do what that owner requests.

I have shared many tears with owners during a euthanasia- particularly the ones that I have treated for years, and grown to love. Those are the hardest- I share the tears, offer comfort to the owners, and make sure the pet is comfortable during the euthanasia. I never want to get to the point where it doesnt bother me to end a life- if that ever happens, then I need to change careers. A dog that comes in and appears fine sometimes causes an owner to hesitate- their dog has been unable to move well, get up, etc at home but appears fine at the vets. I have told owners before when they question- have you ever had a toothache yet when you get to the dentist office, your tooth no longer hurts? The adrenaline rush from being at the doctors can mask the pain- same thing for your pet. Only YOU know what they are doing every day, I only see them when they come in here.

When I first started reading this thread, I thought perhaps the mom was unsure about her decision and because it is indeed irreversible, the assistant may have been trying to give her an alternative. ie: "Do you want her?", I take that as the owner is not certain about this decision she is making. However, this assistant seems to be very very pushy and wrong based on the telephone conversation. That should indeed be reported to the manager of the hospital. Not the vet- the manager. Our manager oversees the entire hospital: the receptionists, the technicians, the assistants, the kennel help, and yes-the veterinarians. As the story is written, that assistant should be disciplined. She was out of line.

I am sorry for the loss of your dog. May you find comfort in your memories of the years with her, and in the confidence that you did the right thing for her. I am sure she will be missed.

Back
Top Bottom