Vet says possible Marek's!

Mother of Harold

In the Brooder
Oct 17, 2023
My rooster started hopping about 5 months ago, then progressively has gotten worse. He won't bend his legs and lays down a lot. Has anyone had a situation where their roo deteriorated very slowly with Marek's? He can stand, but he stands on his toes, and he wont bend is legs. He's shaky on his feet. No sores, no mites, but he won't extend his wings anymore to flap, and he doesn't scratch. Doc gave him meloxicam to see if he was inflamed, but she wasn't hopeful. She was pretty sure due to the lack of anything else that it was Marek's. Please help! I'm worried for him and the rest of my flock.

Welcome to BYC.
Unfortunately your vet may be right.
Have you had any other birds show signs of Marek's disease?

But I have 23 chickens, and I'm not sure any of them are vaccinated. I'm scared what this means for the rest of them. And my poor roo, is just so sweet, I hate to have to end it, but I don't want him to suffer.

What exactly have you been feeding him?
Amateur mistake - I was giving everyone layer feed. Changed it to all flock about a month ago. Plus have been giving him rooster booster in his feed. Do you think it could be a vitamin deficiency? Vet didn't think gout, because his joints didnt seem warm or large, and they didn't seem to hurt him to the touch.

Amateur mistake - I was giving everyone layer feed. Changed it to all flock about a month ago. Plus have been giving him rooster booster in his feed. Do you think it could be a vitamin deficiency? Vet didn't think gout, because his joints didnt seem warm or large, and they didn't seem to hurt him to the touch.
I don't think layer feed has anything to do with him not walking.

I was thinking possibly a vitamin deficiency but if you're feeding layer feed or any commercially made poultry feed that shouldn't be an issue either unless you're feeding daily treats and or scratch.

I don't think layer feed has anything to do with him not walking.

I was thinking possibly a vitamin deficiency but if you're feeding layer feed or any commercially made poultry feed that shouldn't be an issue either unless you're feeding daily treats and or scratch.
I do usually give them daily treats of sunflower seeds, and any kitchen scraps.

Back
Top Bottom