Vet Tech

kdk1101

Chirping
May 14, 2018
Indian Land, SC
My youngest is 3, I have not worked since 2002, some of my kids homeschool through K12, and I'm considering going back to school to be a vet tech. However, I don't have reliable sitting and don't want to put her in daycare because she has never adapted to the church nursery. So, are there any real online schools for the academic part of things? I know I would have to find a vet to do hands on things but while I'm doing school for the kids I could also be doing school for me. I thought about asking on other social media but I don't want to deal with FB right now.

I don't know about how you can get the credentials online but my daughter is a certified vet tech and makes about $10 or $11/hour and has been doing it for a couple years. Seems to me it's a waste of education for a low paying occupation. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

I agree , you could get a job tomorrow in any store/restaurant and get paid the same . Put in some hours and make some money without the cost of school .You could work 9-3 ?? Good luck
Ps a vet techs job involves a lot of poop , death and yucky things

I agree , you could get a job tomorrow in any store/restaurant and get paid the same . Put in some hours and make some money without the cost of school .You could work 9-3 ?? Good luck
Ps a vet techs job involves a lot of poop , death and yucky things
I've worked retail and restaurants and find that they are the least tolerant of family emergencies or circumstances. I have 5 children, including an adopted son from Ukraine who has a ton of special needs and Reactive Attachment Disorder so I often have to tend to meetings and medical emergencies.

People with chickens find they are involved with a lot of poop, death & yucky things and don't get paid for dealing with it. Must be love.

I can't really advise you about online schools, some are ok, but some are not. Veterinary Techs aren't the highest paid, true, but at least where I live, they certainly make more than retail.Job satisfaction is much higher though! Some places ( but not all) offer benefits also, retail usually doesn't. You might also consider looking for a job as an assistant, they do almost everything a tech can do except anesthesia and frequently, you can get on the job training, as I did. Yes the job is messy and can be hard, but you have kids, I'm guessing you can deal with poop, pee and vomit. The worst part, IMO, was not dealing with what the animals dish out, but the clients. Lots are great, but then you get jerks everywhere. The hardest part though, was when people wanted to do right for their pets and couldn't afford it. Pay varies with region and with hospital, maybe you can talk to some of the vet hospitals around you and get a feel for it for your area. If you still want to try it, start with general ed at a junior college and get that out of the way, for less money. The child care thing, that's a hard one.

Back
Top Bottom