Vet wants me to reduce protein below 14% for angel wing

RidiculousName

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2023
Little Egypt
I took my Ancona duck to an avian vet for angel wing. To my surprise, instead of wrapping the wing, he suggested cutting protein by some unspecified amount, and told me to get another appointment if it gets worse. I told him I am already using a 14% protein, feed(Mazuri waterfowl maintenance) and that was the lowest protein feed I knew of. Irregardless, he said that angel wing is a nutrition issue, and insisted I reduce the protein.

I have read that there is some indication that angel wing may be partly genetic, and none of my other three ducks have it despite being fed identically to each other. In general, the vet seemed like he wasn't very knowledgeable. He even took a short break to research angel wing.

In any case, I am looking for a way to cut the protein in my feed. My ducks are ten weeks old, if that matters.

Yes what @Miss Lydia said . I cut a sock in half and use the tube part and it works great. I had to try several socks to see which one fit the best but the cut sock tube that fit worked perfect and I didn’t need to reduce the protein at all she’s fine now Mazuri is an excellent feed

Attachments

• 96D9DFE8-A2AF-405A-96BA-4B5288BC067A.jpeg
    96D9DFE8-A2AF-405A-96BA-4B5288BC067A.jpeg
    268.3 KB · Views: 8
  • A3814648-0353-433A-83D2-DC1C0A812B76.jpeg
    A3814648-0353-433A-83D2-DC1C0A812B76.jpeg
    343.5 KB · Views: 7
  • FB7BEDD1-5068-4226-BBCB-C17C20E410FE.jpeg
    FB7BEDD1-5068-4226-BBCB-C17C20E410FE.jpeg
    492.3 KB · Views: 7
Yeah I do too becasue of what he said and didn't even give you instructions on what to do to fix it. And it can be fixed but you need to do it asap. Still growing in her wing feathers or are they all grown in? if they are already grown in then it's too late. Okay, a member here said one of her ducks had angel wing and she waited till the first molt when they lose their flight feathers. then when they started to grow back they then wrapped and it fixed it so there may be hope if it's too late this time. Since I just went back and saw your duckling is 10 weeks old already.
No one really know what causes angel wing some say High protein feed other genetic. I fed my flock ducks, chickens, and geese Purina Flock raiser for many years before I went to Non GMO and have never had angel wing in my flock. and this feed is 20% or higher been quite a while since I have bought it.

Last edited:
I used the sock as well on a couple ducklings this year - also tried panty hose. I've had ducklings several times with the same nutritional routine, but this was the first time I'd ever encountered it, also the first time I had Black Swedish ducklings. I've been to two avian vets, and found they don't know much about most things "duck". It seems they are truly just guessing. As a first time duck owner I brought one duck in repeatedly for what turned out to be feather pulling (I had no idea my other duck was doing this to her because I hadn't witnessed it), and the vet couldn't identify it at all, but rather I spent $800 trying a variety of medications, sprays, injections, lab work, etc. I've brought my ducks in for various things and though sometimes I feel better to find out what it's not, the vet hardly ever knows what it is or how to properly treat it. But that's just my vet.

Back
Top Bottom