Vetericyn

texasshell

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 7, 2010
Marion, TX
Well this morning I got up to lots of noise in the back yard, one of the EE pullets had gotten out and the dogs had her cornered. BAD DOGS they tore up her tail end pretty good.
sad.png
I got on here first thing after getting everyone put in a secure place to see what to put on the wound. After reading soooooooooooo many opinions (thank you for them all) I decided to put the watered down peroxide on her first. OH MY GOODNESS she screamed my grandkids and I swear she was saying OOOOWWWWWWWWWWCCCCCCCHHHHHH. I put her back into the crate with some honey-water and food.
I had to go to town to the feed store anyway, so I thought I would see what they had. First stop was the pet shop to get her some meal worms.
big_smile.png
Then the guys at the feed store suggested using the Vetericyn. I had fortunately not had to use any on the horses, but have heard good things about it, so I brought some home. I sprayed her butt right away and she did not seem to react at all. She did eat her meal worms, so I put her in her crate back into the coop.
Was wondering if any of you have tried the Vetericyn and what kind of results did you have? I will let you know how our girl is doing.
And the dogs - well they are getting some serious lessons about not even looking at the chickens. BAD DOGS.

Dang, I had to look Vetericyn up, I've never run across it. Looks like pretty good stuff. I'll be looking for updates.

Hydrogen peroxide? Oh man, that stuff stings like crazy! We used to use it to flush wounds in a vet clinic where I worked (in Oak Hill, TX) and quit when we found it was doing more harm then good. Supposedly it can kill of the healthy tissue as well as clean out the necrotic tissue. Been a gazillion years. My current long-time vet doesn't use it, I'll have to ask what the latest is.

BAD DOGS! I had to put 2 fences between my dogs and my hens.
hmm.png
They don't seem to understand that chickens are not squeaky toys.

Last edited:
I've used vetericyn on nearly all of the animals at the farm, including myself and with good results. It makes a nice, thick, protective goo but doesn't obscure the area and it's easy to wipe and re-apply. Chicken-wise, I've used it on tore up rooster faces, a cut chicken toe and most recently on the side of a hen that had too much attention from the dudes- all with great results. Good luck!

I'm a big fan of Betadyne (and my vet recommends it). You can dilute it with water and apply with a syringe or soak the effected area - with no sensation. On wounds, we use that to clean wounds followed with some neosporin or antibiotic ointments. Hope your bird is doing well.

Lynn

Back
Top Bottom