VetRx and tetracycline

dsbailey70

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 7, 2014
Nederland, Texas
I've got my Silkie (2-3 mo) on tetracycline in its water. It still has one nostril that looks stopped up; I've been unable to clean it out. Can VetRx be used while it's on tetracycline? Would the VetRx help anyway?

VetRx is a product that is similar to menthol products that humans use when they have a cold. It can help to thin and loosen mucous and congestion, that's about it. So yes, you can use it in conjunction with antibiotic's. If you get a Q-Tip, wet it in diluted VetRx and swab the nostril you may be able to help clean and open it up.

Saline as in some nasal sprays dabbed on mucus may loosen it up so that you can wipe it away. Sometimes feed will get wet and plug up a nostril also, and a toothpick may be needed to open it (very carefully.) I haven't had that happen but apparently it can become cement-like. If the saline or VetRx doesn't work, try a drop of hydrogen peroxide--saline and peroxide are good at softening plugs of mucus if you give it time to work.

Last edited:
The VetRx seemed to be working well. He sounded and looked like he was clearing up; then he sounded congested again last night. I spoke to my chicken Vet, asking about the viability of tests, shots, and continuing the tetracycline. He advised euthanizing all 3; obviously the Silkie, and then the EE and BR bc they've been exposed the whole time. It's making me sick to think about it, but idk what else to do. :( I'm all for doing whatever is possible to make a pet well, if there's hope that they'll get (and stay) well, but this keeps coming back. I have an appt Wed morn, for him to euthanize them. I also asked for a tranquilizer shot first for each one, before the fatal one. I'll clean the whole coop with diluted bleach, and wait until next week to look at replacing them. I have two chicks in the house...2-3 more weeks until going outside...can't be too careful. It's strange; the guy I got the Silkie from said he didn't have any illnesses. Could it be bc the chick was only a couple weeks old when I got him? I would sill like to have a Silkie, but may opt for an older one.

I would think this over for a few days before euthanizing. You haven't mentioned all of the symptoms, but I would agree to euthanize if it was coryza, ILT, or a bad strain of MG. Most of them are contagious, and make carriers for either life, or for 5-12 months as in infectious bronchitis. Here is a good link about the most common diseases--MG, IB, coryza, and ILT which you can read about: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

This isn't an isolated incident. The Silkie first got sick not long after I got them. I had it on a 7 day run of tetracycline; it cleared up after only 3-4 days tho. Then it relapsed less than a week after finishing the first round of medicine. It cleared up again after a few days this go round, then relapsed again. I'm absolutely in favor of testing, unless it's not going to help, or be $$$$$... It's occasionally had a runny nose (no smell tho), sneezing, congested breathing, and occasional mouth gaping. Before having it done, I'm going to ask for specifics on possibly testing for infectious bronchitis, if it can be cured...

Last edited:
First time symptoms: frequent runny nose; snotty nose; continuous crusting up; sneezing; congested breathing; mouth gaping; cleared up, then occasional sneezing and congestion returned. Second time: runny nose once; occasional congestion (seemed more in the evening, but not sure), and occasional sneezing. Both times, eating, drinking, pooping, foraging, etc have seemed normal. The EE and BR have never shown any symptoms..

A necropsy by your state vet can give you an answer if you have it done on the sick one. Infectious bronchitis is a virus, and it has to run its course over 5 weeks or so. The antibiotics for it are to prevent a secondary bacterial infection. This is why she may be getting sick again or it could be MG or something else, and it needs a stronger AB. Sorry that you are dealing with this. Testing can be done by nasal or rectal swabs. If you vet is familiar, they may do them. Testing may end up costing the same as one necropsy. In some states they are free (Californa,) in others $80-100, and in some pretty expensive. Here is a link where you can call for info about testing and necropsy:
http://www.tahc.state.tx.us/
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/animal_dis_spec/poultry/states/texas.pdf

Back
Top Bottom