Vets (and not vets) - Our Rooster has a hurt eye

Lockamyfam

In the Brooder
Dec 12, 2020
Wesley, one of our young roosters (only 5-6 months old), has a hurt eye. He’s a polish mix. I noticed a slight limp the other week, but didn’t think anything of it except that it could’ve happened when getting down from a roost inside of the coop. Now that I see the eye, i know he got picked on/in a fight with another. I have a feeling it was done by/with his brother, Antonio (an absolute bully that is aggressive with me and we are for sure getting rid of asap), but then again Wesley isn’t much better and has been getting aggressive with my husband these past 2 weeks. At a few different times, I’ve seen the 2 of them team up on a couple of the ladies :(

Anyway, is there something I can put on his eye to help it heal?? I feel bad for the poor jerk, but he probably had it coming to him :(
A4AF2333-F441-4B0D-BD80-9553D2F6FAB5.jpeg

When one of my young pullets had an eye infection, I went out and got saline solution from the pharmacy (not expensive) and flushed it out. Then I put some original polysporin on it - just a tiny bit - to ward off infection. Keep flushing it out with saline solution twice a day and hopefully it will improve. Likely a little scratch, but keep an eye on him and how he is acting incase it's a sign of something worse going on.

Are you able to seperate him? Did the aggression come after he hurt his eye? We had a drake who lost an eye to our rooster a few years ago, and we had tokeep him somewhere clean and it healed decently on its own

@JacinLarkwell the aggression has been for about a few weeks now...toward my husband and I that is. The eye happened in the last few days I’d say. The limp for about a week now.

yes - I’d be able to separate him. They free range, so they all have space and he’s been keeping his distance a bit from the other. Could’ve happened at night when perched on the same roost in the coop.

@JacinLarkwell the aggression has been for about a few weeks now...toward my husband and I that is. The eye happened in the last few days I’d say. The limp for about a week now.

yes - I’d be able to separate him. They free range, so they all have space and he’s been keeping his distance a bit from the other. Could’ve happened at night when perched on the same roost in the coop.
Hmmm

Normally I'd say the aggression happened due to the eye, but apparently not. You may heal him just to find he still grows to be aggressive

Back
Top Bottom