viability of shipped eggs

My success rate varies wildly. Some of the variation I blame of the health and age of the parent flocks, number of hens per rooster, age of eggs shipped, incubation, and some on the amount of time spent and handling in the postal system. Packaging for shipping on the eggs I received varied, but was overall good with little to no air cell issues and out of my last three hatches, the eggs that came the farthest did the best.

Last month I got 13 Dark Cornish eggs from that were shipped from Michigan (I am in SE Louisiana). Out of those eggs, all but one hatched and the one that didn't wasn't fertile; these were by far the most active chicks I have ever had.

In October, I ordered and hatched two batches of shipped eggs. Shipment #1 was 12 Lavender Split Ameraucana eggs from Texas: I had only 4 eggs develop and hatch. Shipment#2 was 12 Barred Rock eggs from Pennsylvania and I had 10 chicks hatch from those (1 wasn't fertile and 1 quit).

I have tried driving to local breeders (found through breed clubs) and purchasing both Black Copper Marans (only 6 of 12 eggs hatched) and Black/Blue/Splash Ameraucanas (10 of 18 hatched, but 3 chicks had genetic issues.....crossbeak, curled toes, etc).

I have had the same luck with duck eggs. Local eggs that were picked up: 6 went into the incubator and only 2 hatched. Eggs shipped from Georgia: 6 went into the incubator and got 5 healthy ducklings.

When I hatch eggs from my birds, I always have at least 85% hatch even from eggs that have sat for nearly two weeks. I have 6 eggs from my Buff Saddleback Pomeranian geese in the incubator right now and all are developing nicely. The oldest egg was 8 days old when I set it and the gosling is developing nicely: The first four are due around New Years day. I am using a Brinsea Octagon 20 Advance to incubate and a little giant still air incubator as a hatcher. I hope my luck holds out since I have two dozen Beltsville Small White turkey eggs coming in late February/early March: 12 from Illinois and 12 from North Carolina.

If you buy eggs from venues like eBay just make sure to not only read the feedback, but check for replies on hatch rates in those comments. The sellers with the most positive replies to feedback and best comments are also the ones I have had the best results from their eggs.

Good luck with your future egg hatching and Happy Holidays!

I have gotten about 50% hatch/development rate from every batch of shipped eggs so far, no matter who I order from or where they live. All were excellently packaged and based on aircells at delivery, not very old eggs. Doesn't matter if it's someone two hours to the east of me or someone in California, seems to be a 50% rate, give or take. I thought I'd do better ordering from close neighbors, but didn't seem to matter. Shipping is just hard on eggs either way.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom