Themightyducks

In the Brooder
Dec 3, 2018
I have a call cross crested possibly drake unsure he is around 9 10 weeks old now and have noticed when holding him his head starts vibrating while im patting him then nudges my hand with his beak when i stop patting or will put his beak up my sleeve all while vibrating....

He wont come to me or let me pick him up unless i follow him til i can grab him hut then will sit ok n my lap vibrating and go to sleep....

What is the vibrating good or bad? I have a cockatoo that vibrates during breeding season could it be this? Just assumed it was too young as he is around 10 weeks old.

If he goes to sleep in your lap while vibrating I don’t think that’s being aggressive. If you pick him up or try and pet him and he bites you while vibrating then that would be aggressive. He is getting to that age where hormones may beginning to get started though so watch out for him to possibly become assertive in his dominant role as drake then you need to be ready to put him in his place with tough love. Now he is still young but give him another month or two . Lol especially once spring arrives. Hopefully you have females to keep him happy.

I have a female duck that lives inside. She vibrates when she gets excited. I read an article one time that ducks along with ferrets and a few other small animals have different hormones in their heads that don't have an established reaction to happiness or excitement causing these animals to vibrate. I have since found out that was true about the ferrets, I just couldn't find anything else proving it about the ducks. However, I know my girl will vibrate if I have treats or when I wake up because she's happy to see me. I have completely ruled out for this to be a sexual thing because she has her mating behaviors that she reverts to and vibrating is not one of them for her. I ignore her if she's showing me mating behaviors and she'll stop after a minute then I pick her up and hangout with her and she understands. If she's vibrating, she'll put her head up my sleeve or climb up me. I really do think it means different things for different ducks as they really like to find ways to express themselves. However, evaluate it to see if he's trying to mate, be dominant or he's just excited to see you!

Our ducks vibrate when they see that we have treats for them. It's funny, but the only time we see it is when we come outside and sit with them, and when we give them treats.

I've had ducks vibrate with me for different reasons.

Like some are saying, I've had both male and female ducks vibrating their heads when they enjoy me petting them or holding them.

On the other hand, I know my one drake once and a while a few months ago would kind of get 'excited' when a bunch of the ducks were hanging out together and I was out there and he would vibrate his head and pace back and forth. He didn't show aggression, though.

And then I've also had them vibrate their heads when they would chase each other around and get into non-serious squabbles. Both male and female.

My Muscovy drake vibrates his neck when he is in full hormone rage and it’s my gander he is doing it along with making hissing noises (probably Muscovy cussing)

I have a call cross crested possibly drake unsure he is around 9 10 weeks old now and have noticed when holding him his head starts vibrating while im patting him then nudges my hand with his beak when i stop patting or will put his beak up my sleeve all while vibrating....

He wont come to me or let me pick him up unless i follow him til i can grab him hut then will sit ok n my lap vibrating and go to sleep....

What is the vibrating good or bad? I have a cockatoo that vibrates during breeding season could it be this? Just assumed it was too young as he is around 10 weeks old.
I went to college for zoology. I studied animal behavior in all animals. While I’d love to know all the answers, I’m no wiser than the next person w the patience to sit and observe. I,too have a Rouen drake that lives inside. He has no eyes so it’s a safe assumption he’s 100% blind. He behaves the same way your duck does. There is thought that in certain animals they vibrate out of excitement, aggression and pleasure. Ducks are one of these. My drake won’t come to me either, although I’ve raised him since a wee one. I also must get behind him and catch him. Ducks never 100% trust humans. That and my duck is blind. He thinks everything is a predator. However, once caught and cuddled, as you and I both do to our ducks, they rest and sleep. They vibrate out of contentment or pleasure. I say that after observing my outdoor ducks in comparison. When I need to catch them, it’s WW3. It would be a cold day in hell any of them would sit quietly, let alone fall asleep. The vibration is also different in the out door ducks charge the chickens and other ducks and aggressively stick their neck out vibrating it on them. They do the same to me and fight until they escape.If I allow my duck to walk off, he chooses to stay w his head tucked under my chin resting on my shoulder. He gets up to potty because (thankfully) he refuses to go on me, then finds his way back to my chest and neck. Your duck sounds similar. As I said, I’d love to say a degree in animal behavior has all the answers, but animals don’t read the books we study. You know your duck and even we as humans have instinct. If you believe your duck is content, it’s content. It’s pleasurable vibrating. An animal only allows you to control it if it wants you to. 😉

Back
Top Bottom