Vicious 27 week old non-laying GLW pullet...what to do?

SpringChick

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 21, 2011
I have 4, 27 week old pullets, 2 SLW and 2 GLW. The two SLW have been laying but the 2 GLW are not laying and one is downright vicious. She is definitely NOT a Roo. She attacks us and pecks at our feet, hands, backs anything she can get at. She has drawn blood several time. I've tried to handle her more with no favorable results. I've also swatted her when she attacks to try to be the alpha. Could the reason she's so aggressive because she's not yet laying? I'm thinking it's a hormonal issue. Also, why are neither of my almost 7 month old GLW not yet laying. The SLW's have been laying for a month and overall seem sweeter in temperment. I'm newer to chickens so any advice would be appreciated.

Sounds like she could use a little rooster action. When she flies at you grab her and pin her to the ground, pushing her head down, and hold her until she stops squealing and kicking. Then let her up and treat her as you would any other hen - no further correction unless she acts up again then repeat the pinning process.

I have a Buff Orpington that is also not yet laying and is 28 weeks old. For months she has been aggressive towards my 23 month old daughter, so much so that my daughter is now afraid of all of our chickens (we only have 4). Yesterday the BO came after me, pecking me and she even actually took hold of my skirt and wouldn't let go. I'm hoping it is hormonal and that she quits this behavior after she starts laying or else I will have to re-home her. I got a BO because of their docile personality, but this one is our least friendly and my least favorite. I hope some experienced chicken owners chime in here because I'm all ears.

Well, you could always eat her.

Just kidding.

GLWs are notorious for being vicious "red-heads". When Irene, my older GLW went broody for the first time, she bit, and fought, and scratched and beat up so hard on the cage, she over-turned it. I wouldn't be a bit surprised that yours is also being vicious due to a hormone surge. She is probably on the verge of laying her first egg.

Although temperamental, GLWs usually settle down and are very nice people as they mature.

Back
Top Bottom