vicious 4 week olds

I hatched two chicks each from two batches of eggs -- my first attempts. Both went through an aggressive phase -- and they are Marans and Buff Orps, both breeds noted to be sweet-tempered. I don't remember this behavior from my first chix that I got at a week old - Welsummers from Whitmore Farm. I have no idea what the cause might be, either. I can;t say they ppeck ecxcept one who is fascinated with my diamond ring! But they do sort of mob me and try to get out and they all have lots of room. I figure it is a phase. These chicks were never crowded and to my knowledge have never had a bad time. Maybe thay are jot not civilized yet!
ya.gif
:drool:mad:

My chicks, ranging from 1 week to 3 weeks old, will sometimes peck my hands and fingers in their excitement to get at the bread I'm holding.

Do your chicks usually calm down if you take some treats with you and throw it on the ground for them or are they still mean when you feed them?

no... but they rush me every time thinking there's food... so no more "hand" feeding for now. I don't want the to always assume there's something in them for them. I've been strewing their treats our in the run and that's been working better.

If you can throw food through the fence into another area away from the gate you are trying to enter, you might be able to fake them out long enough to get inside. Mine aren't mean but they do descend on the gate whenever they see me coming. (I do have a speckled sussex that must have been a dermatologist in a former life because she is very attracted to a mole on the side of my ankle.
big_smile.png

Quote:
lau.gif

That is hilarious...I have a mole on my shin and everytime I walk in there, there is one roo that goes straight for it. What is it with the mole?

Back
Top Bottom