Vicious chicken of Mountain View

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by dr1bot, Sep 17, 2011.

1. dr1bot

dr1bot New Egg

Jan 19, 2011
    I found a dead roof rat in our chicken's coop last winter - but I wasn't sure how it died. Her coop mate died last winter, so I think she thinks anything that moves is part of her flock. Last Thursday - the chicken - which now free ranges in a backyard - was tossing a dead grey bird (Junco?) up in the air. At first I though it was a mouse. I didn't see either of the murders. Is this typical hen behavior? Maybe she picked up some bad habits from the neighbor cats, which often come by to visit and hang out. I saw her intimidate a dog off his bone once (To be sure the dog had been trained to fear chickens.)

This is a 14month old Buff - a good layer 5 to 6 eggs a week.

2. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    My little bantam Leghorns would routinely kill sparrows that became trapped in their run. I wouldn't call it murder, just predation.

3. fuzidragonbunnie

fuzidragonbunnie Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2009
    Pahrump
    I always thought chickens were pretty opportunistic and will eat what ever they could catch. I know our girls spend a great deal of time last winter playing keep-away with a mouse one of them had chased down and killed. Our Juvie Easter Eggers found a snake that got tangled in their netting this summer and pecked it to death (didn't eat it, but left it a nice surprise for Mom when she went out to feed them). I do have a couple of pretty aggressive females who will fight each other like the roosters do.

4. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Mine have killed and eaten skinks and rats before. Not what I'd call out of the ordinary... [​IMG]

5. mrpekinduck

mrpekinduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    That's normal my ducks kill mice all the time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by