Vicks Vapor Rub

Welcome to BYC
big_smile.png

Holy Cow...Vick's Vapor Rub might kill a child or a chicken with a small amount on them? If that was the case my mother would have killed me many years ago. She spread it on my chest with a butter knife and filled my nose with it. Come on folks, let's not start a Vick's scare. To this day I use Vick's from stuffy nose to putting it on Chigger Bites to relieve the itching....and it works for me and as far as I can tell the only bad reaction might be the fact that I'm find myself getting involved in raising chickens, turkeys and pheasant.

HappyHatch'en :

Holy Cow...Vick's Vapor Rub might kill a child or a chicken with a small amount on them? If that was the case my mother would have killed me many years ago. She spread it on my chest with a butter knife and filled my nose with it. Come on folks, let's not start a Vick's scare. To this day I use Vick's from stuffy nose to putting it on Chigger Bites to relieve the itching....and it works for me and as far as I can tell the only bad reaction might be the fact that I'm find myself getting involved in raising chickens, turkeys and pheasant.

If you ingest Vick's it can cause serious problems including death. Not just rubbing it on, although now that's not even recommended for young children.​

HappyHatch'en :

My Mum's mother used to swallow a huge hunk every night. So far as I know, she's still alive & kicking. She isn't young, either.​

GOOD GRIEF!

If someone told me the product I was using may be potentially harmful or fatal if injested I don't think I would argue the point just because 'No one I know has died from using it yet.'

I would be greatfull for the advise and then RESEARCH it myself before decideing to use/not to use.

Peopel are just trying to be HELPFUL by offering information- thats what this sight is about. If someone recommends using vicks and then their bird dies from eating it I bet they WISH someone would have come along prior and warned them.

This is what I have found:

Serious pediatric toxicity resulting from exposure to small amounts of camphor-containing products has long been a problem. Twenty years ago the United States Food and Drug Administration took several actions in an attempt to ameliorate this risk. Despite these changes, camphor remains commonly available in many nonprescription vaporized or topical “cold” medications, topical musculoskeletal anesthetic “rubs” and “cold sore” preparations, though its efficacy is largely unproven. Data from the American Association of Poison Control Centers demonstrate that camphor continues to be a common source of pediatric exposures. A review of the literature reveals persistent reports of toxicity resulting from exposure to relatively small amounts. In the pediatric population, exposure to as little as 500 mg is cited as a cause of mortality. More commonly, 750 to 1000 mg are associated with the development of seizures and death. Currently available products with 10% camphor contain 500 mg in 5 mL. It is concluded that small doses are dangerous. In children less than 6 years of age, exposure to 500 mg or more requires rapid triage to the closest health care facility.

Apparently Vick's has a product for infants called 'Baby Rub', which is supposed to be safe. Check it out. Every person/creature reacts differently to different things...if their is potential danger you need to weigh the risk you are willing to take.

TYLENOL IS TOXIC TO DOGS BUT JUST BECAUSE YOUR FRIEND GAVE IT TO THEIR DOG AND NOTHING HAPPENED DOERSNT MEAN YOU SHOULD RISK GIVING IT TO YOURS.

Best wishes, good luck with the pecking issues.
e

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom