[VIDEO] croupy/raspy/snory breathing in one of my hens...

erkme73

Chirping
Jul 22, 2021

Went by coop tonight and heard what sounded like squeak toy. When I found her, and went to pick her up, she squirt out almost entirely liquid. Her crow is muffled, and her breathing is like in the video. As I was holding her, she was dripping out her rear.

She has an appetite, and no other symptoms. I'm concerned that this is something that may end her, or worse, spread to the rest of the flock. Any clue what could be causing it, what precautions I should be taking, and what the best treatment might be?

Thanks...

Went by coop tonight and heard what sounded like squeak toy. When I found her, and went to pick her up, she squirt out almost entirely liquid. Her crow is muffled, and her breathing is like in the video. As I was holding her, she was dripping out her rear.

Is liquid coming from her beak and from her rear or just her rear, I'm not clear on that.

There's dripping out of the rear, is it poop, something like egg yolks or whites?

Photos are always welcome.

If she vomited/spit up liquid from her beak when you went to pick her up, then it sounds like she's got a crop issue, but her dripping out the rear - does she have bloat or a feeling of fluid in the abdomen below the vent between her legs?

She may have aspirated some fluid, but if she's swollen/bloated, etc in the abdomen, then this can cause some respiratory distress as well.

I'd check her crop to see that it's emptying overnight, if it doesn't, then address that symptom per the article linked below, but understand that a crop issue usually accompanies something else going on like reproductive disorders, infection, worms, etc.

When was her last egg? If she's normally fairly consistent in laying eggs, then I'd get extra calcium into her if she's not laid her normal egg in the last few days.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Hey @Wyorp Rock , is this the one that just passes on it's own, or a contagious ailment? This reminded me of the salmon faverolle that was having similar symptoms a little while back and I remember you knowing what was going on.
Thanks for the tag. Yes, it does sound similar to stridor, but with the additional symptoms reported by the OP, of fluids 'leaking' then I would suspect more is going on than just having something stuck in the airway that will resolve on its own in a few hours.

Thank you both for the replies. She's only leaking from her butt (nothing orally). Mainly water but some solid. Happens both when she does it purposefully or if she flaps her wings, and drips even when holding her. It's clear to brownish tint - so nothing really abnormal in color or appearance. Just the dripping that seems out of place.

As for egg cycle, that's tough to tell. With 20+ hens in the flock, it's hard to tell which are hers without isolating her. Which we've done tonight. She's in her own container for the evening (and longer if need be).

ETA: Didn't really answer your other questions... The vent looks clean, and I could not feel any swelling or other abnormalities in her abdomen down to the tail.

Crop does feel empty. And she did peck at hand held food.

Since you have her separated out, see if her crop is empty in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink.

Get some photos of the overnight droppings as well.

Since you have her separated out, see if her crop is empty in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink.

Get some photos of the overnight droppings as well.

Less noisy but a couple of sneezes. And more gurgling than squeaking...

We put medicated chick starter in her tote last night (I didn't know wife and kids did so until this am). Crop is about half full.

Last edited:
Any lesions inside the beak?

I'd work on the crop symptoms.
See if she will drink on her own, I know it may be difficult since she's still having trouble, but hold a cup up for her to see is she will drink. When they are like that, they often will not put their head down to eat/drink.

Any bloat in the abdomen?

Medicated starter contains a minute amount of Amprol/Amprolium if you are in the U.S. It's a coccidiostat, not an antibiotic. The medicated chick starter won't hurt her, but it will not treat an illness or outbreak.

Just a quick update...
Any lesions inside the beak?

None that are visible upon inspection

I'd work on the crop symptoms.
See if she will drink on her own, I know it may be difficult since she's still having trouble, but hold a cup up for her to see is she will drink. When they are like that, they often will not put their head down to eat/drink.

She is eating and drinking fine.

Any bloat in the abdomen?

None that we can feel. In fact the crop was almost empty by this evening (we withheld food for the day).

Medicated starter contains a minute amount of Amprol/Amprolium if you are in the U.S. It's a coccidiostat, not an antibiotic. The medicated chick starter won't hurt her, but it will not treat an illness or outbreak.

It's all we had at the moment. We did give her a dose of fenbendazole for worms - I can't recall which worm the wife suspect she might have (she's an ER MD). She said she noticed her shaking her head, which is a side effect of that particular worm.

Overall her presentation was considerably better today. No more dripping out the rear, and the squeaking is all gone. She does have a bit of a gurgle with breathing - thought cannot tell if it's upper airway or something deeper.

I'll post follow up tomorrow. If she improves more by then, we may put her back in with the others.

Back
Top Bottom