*video* Help! My pullet is unbalanced and panting!

SilkieChickenLover336

Songster
8 Years
Feb 16, 2011
New Jersey

This is spice. She is an 8 month old mixed pullet. Yesterday she showed no symptoms of anything and then today she is unbalanced and panting. I first noticed something was up when none of the chickens were outside on this beautiful day. It's sunny and 80 degrees for the first time in a while! So I kept checking back and the other two would come outside but she was inside laying on her side. I thought maybe she was becoming broody but then when I went out to give them some salad I noticed she was limping. I picked her up and brought her inside to check her out. She doesn't seem to be in pain. She doesn't seem to have any broken or fractured bones. She is just unbalanced and panting. I think the panting might be due to the heat since it is the first day it's actually hot out, but I'm not sure. I also received an egg yesterday but none today which is unusual but I thought I would add it. So far the only two symptoms are panting and unbalanced. She's eating and drinking as well. What do you think this could be?

Thank you in advanced!

I'd be worried about overheating...especially in the coop with nesting boxes. I have a couple of birds panting today too. Keep their water cold and maybe spray down their run area with the hose. If she is that hot to the point of dizziness you'll probably see some watery stools (assuming she's drinking a lot). If she's not drinking encourage her to.

She was pretty much the same. No worse but no better. I kept changing the water every hour or two to make sure it stayed cool and I put it inside the coop by her so she wouldn't have to walk much to get to it. I'm hoping it's just a pulled muscle or something and she'll be okay.

Back
Top Bottom