1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

VIDEO OF MOUSE KILLER (Not for the Squeamish)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Shannonwbl, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Shannonwbl

Shannonwbl Songster

I posted some time back about my mouse eating chickens. My son had a few friends spend the night for his birthday this weekend. He got to show them our KILLER birds and I got to catch it on video. I posted it to YouTube (link below) and it is pretty funny. The boys said it was "Awesome!".

http://www.youtube.com/user/shannonwbl

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  2. whatsup chickenbutt

whatsup chickenbutt Songster

Sep 9, 2008
    HILLARIOUS!!!
    love the music too!

3. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    I love it! I watched the nursing home video, too! That was sweet!

4. momofchicks

momofchicks Songster

Apr 23, 2008
    Kentucky
    That was so darn funny [​IMG] I also love the music!

5. I didn't find this funny at all, just disturbing. I understand if the chickens catch them in the wild, but that was just cruel. [​IMG]

6. Moriah

Moriah In the Brooder

Sep 4, 2008
    Springfield Colorado
    Not any different than giving mice to snakes (hedgehogs eat them too). That was a happy bird!

7. Shannonwbl

Shannonwbl Songster

I totally understand your feelings. Let me assure you we discovered this by accident. I very much believe in not letting an animal suffer and I can assure you it is VERY quick.

We have a real problem with mice in our barn, and because I don't have the stomach for snap traps (too much blood and stuff). I first tried releasing them to find they just made their way back to the barn to poop all over my feed area. The manufacturer suggested drowning - that is very cruel. I see it as a good use for a natural resource that needs to be eliminated for the health of all of my animals and family. They are killed quickly (almost at the point they are caught or just seconds later), and a useful source of protein for our laying hens. We are not vegetarians, so I guess I see it as a circle of life thing.

Again, I assure you it is very quick, but I understand your feelings, and I apologize if you found it offensive - certainly not intended. Sorry if my warning was not strong enough.

8. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    That was a very good response. [​IMG]

9. Shannonwbl

Shannonwbl Songster

Quote:Thanks - and very sincere. I hate that I may have offended someone unintentionally. [​IMG]

10. Chickndaddy

Chickndaddy Songster

Jul 26, 2007
    East Texas
    Made me laugh. I loved how the dogs wanted in on the action...lol

My chickens did the same thing...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: