Video: Reba Squat-Walks ~Update ~ RIP, Beautiful Reba

Reba isn't any better. In fact, her abdomen is enlarging. We tried unsuccessfully to drain it today and could get nothing out. She is alert and extremely interested in her surroundings, but she tires easily lugging that belly around. She still squat walks. Last time we gave her penicillin and eventually, she began walking normally again and expelled something weird from her oviducts a couple of times. This time, penicillin didn't help. I think Reba probably won't make it to her 6th birthday next month and Sunny will be my only remaining original hen. She's been a great girl. Right now, she is living in the broody pen underneath Zane's cage so the little bantam roosters won't hassle her.

Oh boy
sad.png
Prayers for Miss Reba
fl.gif

Thank you, Jessica. Miss Reba has lived a good, long life for a hatchery hen and I fear that this may just be her time. I hate it, though, because she is such a character. Sunny, who was raised with her, is a Buff Orp, but though she hasn't laid an egg in almost a year, her abdomen is very small, nothing you can palpate and say anything is really amiss in there. Sunny may have just run out of eggs, which is fine with me. I'd actually love it if Sunny just stuck around for awhile longer, even if she never laid another egg, just as long as she was healthy.

Adding two very short videos of Reba walking. You can see how bright eyed and alert she is, how beautiful her feathers are. We palpated up inside her. In some spots, it obviously hurt her. Her vent is almost closed off and it looks like whatever is in her oviducts is pinching off her intestines to some degree. She is not pooping as she should. She came back from this the first time. I don't think she will again, but guess we can hope against hope. She will be 6 next month, if this doesn't kill her.

http://s673.photobucket.com/albums/vv95/Mtnviewpoultry/Video Clips/?action=view&current=DSCN4249.mp4
http://s673.photobucket.com/albums/vv95/Mtnviewpoultry/Video Clips/?action=view&current=DSCN4251.mp4

We decided to give her a massive couple of doses of penicillin in a last ditch effort to fix this. It was what we did last time which seemed to help her recover, though I have no illusions that it's a guaranteed fix. I've been through this garbage with my poor hatchery girls so many times already so I fear it won't do her any good. She isn't pooping, though yesterday, some greenish liquidy stuff came through. Poor thing feels awful, sits most of the time, definitely not like Reba at all. She's always been so full of life. Tomorrow, we have to be gone for a time to a family dinner. I fear what we'll find when we come back, but if she can't recover again, it's best she pass on. Poor sweet, funny, fiesty Reba, darn it. We'll really miss that one.

And if it's best she pass on, then so be it. She's lived a good long life for a hatchery hen, beat the odds already. Not one of that original group will ever be forgotten. They were the start of it all.

My girl went broody for about a month...we just got her up and about 2 x's a day until she came out of it about 2 weeks ago. she soon started losing her feathers (I assumed molting, cold here in seattle)..but now she is doing theat "squat walking" thing too??? she will eat and drink. She stopped laying in the fall. I'm really worried she and her coop mates are just a little over 1 year. Please help I am new to hens but love my girls. thank you so much for ANY advice..
also, my thoughts are shared with you and Reba

Back
Top Bottom