Video: removal of Rooster spurs

alalele

Songster
11 Years
Mar 21, 2008
Livingston Parish, LA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgRmPuAEr6A

My
roo's behavior first thing in the morning has become very animated and kind of aggressive. It's kinda funny to me, but it makes me want to watch him for awhile till he calms down and make sure he isn't too rough on his girls. He does try to mate with them, but also have seen him peck at them, not sure what that's about.

Have made sure to pick him (& the hens) up a lot and carry him around for a while, sit on the swing holding him while he just looks around (cute), he'll even crow while I'm sitting there holding him. Today I was looking at his feed and noticing his spurs are still nubs, but longer nubs and started wondering about trimming the sharp points off his nails, but can't tell how much could really be cut safely (unlike dogs, cats and bunnies that I'm used to trimming) , so I started researching it. Figured it's probably good to start with his nails, so he will get used to this type of handling.. and then found this video showing a poultry judge.

I'd originally thought the hot potato method would be a good way, but then recently read that it 'draws' blood to the area and can be bloody and I don't want that.

This video makes it look fairly easy and straightforward. What surprised me was seeing the still pretty long (but soft) spurs underneath which is probably tender and raw till it hardens up. I figured there would just be a "nub" similar to the one my Roo has now. So that was educational.

Anyone use this method? Any thoughts? Do you prefer a different method? Pros and cons?

Hey Diana,

Was that the correct article? It stated that it could be removed when the chick is young, but didn't list anything negative about removing them as adults... At least not that I saw.

Is the only risk an increased chance of infection due to the bone portion of the spur being exposed?

Thankfully I dont have to worry about this much, but its always good to learn.

Now that I've read the article, it makes more sense to me now.

Filing down the sharp point of the spur DOES seem the less invasive way, just like trimming/filing my bunnies sharp tips. I'd never pull off HER toenails!

The video had made it seem normal, and especially since it was done at what appears to be a chicken 'show' by someone knowledgeable. What is left exposed is like the 'quick' of OUR nails? that has got to be very painful then.

Diana, Thanks for sharing the info!

Last edited:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqF-dHyxQkc

This
another YouTube video of spur removal. They simply take a heavy pair of pliers, press down on the spur and turn...the spur comes off and the rooster doesn't seem to struggle. But what is left looks like about a half sized spur covered in blood. The Ohio State fact sheet states they do surgery to remove spurs...the spurs are like fingernails in that they grow back if just trimmed. I don't know about you...but I don't believe having my "fingernail" pulled off with pliers sounds like a good idea???

Last edited:
When we remove spurs, believe it or not we put cigerett butts on the veins, and leave them for while, this keeps from bleeding to much, and from it getting dirty.
when first saw my husband do that i felt so bad for the rooster he cryed out, some say it does not hurt them , but really i belive it does. Just like dubbing hurts them but they dont show it, taking of the spurs is basically cutting of a vein if i think about it now. But we do that too.
big_smile.png
Did you know that well formed spurs are worth money in some places.

Quote:
I wasn't sure either ... so I looked it up...
The Book of Poultry - Google Books Result
by Lewis Wright - 1885 - Poultry
http://books.google.com/books?id=-0...&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=9&ct=result

Says: Dubbing is the " removal of beak, wattles or earlobes"

Wow... all this IS educational... it's worth learning so we can make a decision based on that knowledge without just going about it blindly....
It reminded me of the story I heard from Christian Financial Counselor Dave Ramsey... it's what Zig Ziglar would tell in his seminars...
------------------------------------------

[This is adapted from a great little story from Zig Ziglar's motivational book, See You At The Top.]

Zig noticed his wife would cut a small amount off the ends of the Sunday roast before putting it in a pan and roasting it, so he asked, “Why do you cut the ends off the roast?”

“Because my mother was the best cook in the world and that is how she did it.”

When they went to visit her mother he asked the same question. He received the same answer.

Several months later, at a Thanksgiving dinner hosted by his wife’s grandmother, Zig asked the grandmother, “All of the ladies in your family certainly make excellent Sunday roasts, and everyone in the the family cuts the ends off the roast because that is the way they were taught. Please tell me, why do you do it?”

She replied, “Because my pan was too short.”

~~~"How many habits and routines do we blindly and unquestioningly follow without ever once thinking about why? How many rituals are no longer necessary and serve no purpose."

-----------------------------------------
Reflecting on that story... does it have a purpose anymore? Given that I have such a small flock.. I can't imagine putting them through any kind of pain that is unnessary. Wow... this has been eyeopening for me... Thanks all!

Back
Top Bottom