Video with music. Home made water system and treadle feeder.

Reece

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 31, 2010
Well, my chickens are starting to look more and more like a straight up gang of roosters. Their combs seem to be the fastest growing part of their bodies at present.

Can we hear what the water system is made of? how did you do that?
maybe a close up shot?
thanks

Yeah, I made the feeder from scrap. The geometry was a little tricky. All I had was a youtube video for a model. I made mine taller so they boys wouldn't roost on it.

The watering system is pvc pipe using a 3 gallon bucket from Home Depot. The fitting for the bucket was the only tricky part - hardware store for the O-ring to seal it and the nut for the inside, and the tubing, press-in nipples from FarmTech.

59143_water_system.jpg

I use the nipples also, no ka ka in your water. I used a 30 gal barrel installed in the top of my coop to 4 nipples.
You can't go wrong by using them they are worth their weight in gold.

nice set up I love the feeder.

Last edited:
That really looks great I amalso interested in making watering like that if you posted a how to page it would be a big help for lots of folks.???
Is that golden polish a hen or a roo we have 1 way to young to tell yet with ours. how much feed does that feeder hold??

Reece, that's a great treadle feeder there. What's its capacity, and what kind of feed do you use in it? Also, how long did it take your birds to learn how to use it?

You're very inventive! Nice set-up.
smile.png

I'd have to make another water system to create a "how to" video - you're just going to have to get creative. Farmtek tells you to use a 11/32" drill bit for their push-in nipples. It's a tight fit but they don't leak.

http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplie...01&langId=-1&division=FarmTek&productId=17664

The rest is basic 1/2" pvc pipe plumbing.
Every system will be custom made/sized to fit your needs.

My system used:
1. 3 - 90 degree elbow's.
2. 1 - Tee
3. 2 - caps
4. 5/8" vinyl tubing.
5. 2 - Plastic nipple fittings for the tubing (1 - straight, 1 - 90 degree)
6. Bucket fitting, 1/2" pvc pipe to 3/4" hose threaded fitting.
7. 3 gal. bucket from Home Depot.

I drilled the caps for the nipples using the 11/32" bit. I drilled the bucket using a 3/4" paddle bit. I suggest going to a good hardware store and telling them what you are doing and ask them for the 3/4" bucket fitting with O-ring and nut & washer for the inside. Just keep your flow going downhill and it will work.

The treadle holds about 15 lbs. I'm on the grow mix right now with a little hen scratch for fun.
Training: You stop it open for a few days. Then you set a stop so the action moves half way for a few days. They can still see the food but get used to the movement of the treadle and and lid. Then, you take out all the stops and they're on their own - no problem. Hunger is a great motivator.

They went right to the nipples. According to Farmtek the red color piques their curiosity and then when water comes out, bingo! Their little bird brains make the connection.

I'm beginning to think all my chickens are roosters.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom