[Videos] Assisting call duck hatching - using Google Glass

hillsdale ducks

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 31, 2014
Hillsdale Lake, Kansas
First, my wife and I would like to thank BYC for all the virtual help since we decided to get some call ducks last year. You can say that we are now quack addicts. We are still learning and enjoying our quackers.

Our calls started laying eggs last month (in the middle of freezing cold weather) and we decided to incubate them and try to hatch them. Long story short, I built two homemade incubators, one still air for hatching and one with a fan for incubation, and thus far we have had three successful hatches. BUT, all three needed assistance getting out of the shell. I decided to use my Google Glass to video externally pipping the shells and also assisting one that was trapped behind the membrane. I wanted to video it one, for our own documenting purposes, and also to help anyone that has never seen nor done any assisting with their own ducks. Not saying I'm an expert or even exactly knew what I was doing, but these three ducks are doing fine today and are in their brooding boxes.

Here's the first two, hanging out with "momma duck".

And here is Yeti, the duck trapped behind his membrane. We named it Yeti, since it has big feet. :)

Here is a playlist I threw together on YouTube showing assisting using Google Glass and the patients post-surgery. :)

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSY07b4oej_f4ZNOTj107A3Ff1C3_GBcB

Enjoy.

--Chris

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom