Videos**Then and Now: Duckling almost two weeks into niacin deficiency treatment. Any changes?

Pics
What is the average age for a female Pekin duck? I have a seven-year-old Pekin duck. I spoke of her some years back. She has raised 4 ducks and none of her own. Two flew away, one was killed, and one died from high cholesterol. After the last one died, I went and bought her a mate. They got along right off the bat. For the last 3 years, she lays one egg a day for about a week. I read somewhere they only live for about 6 to 7 yrs. I have noticed her not walking around as she used to, she lays down with her head between her wings more often than she is normally due. She is doing the same thing that Jennifer (the one who died from cholesterol) did just before she died. The male is never too far away, but close enough to watch her. She will lay in that spot for about 15 min or until something starts moving in the yard. Then she is up and on the go for about 20 min and then she back down again. These ducks are my baby pets. Where most people have dogs, cats, or other animals, I have two ducks as pets, but they live outside. To make a long story short, I am needing advice on what to watch for in an older duck that life may be short. I have given her a mixture of sea salt, sugar, and baking soda with niacin. I put it in their water. So, both the male (Stevie) and the female (Lite) take this compound. They eat corn, black sunflower seeds, and pelts from Purnia. She is the first duck and she has outlived the other 4 that she grew up with. So, what are the symptoms of an older duck, what should I look for? Oh, yes, they are free to run in the backyard until time to go to bed. They are like dogs, when I go out in the backyard, they come running to the gate. Sometimes I have lettuce or mix vegetables for them. They are not much on eating greens or fruits.

Explain the sea salt sugar and baking soda mixture and what it’s for. I have 5 Muscovy one female is 14 the next oldest is 1 drake and 2 females who will be 11 in June and July and my youngest is 10. My oldest her legs aren’t as strong as they use to be but she still gets around but she isn’t as active as when younger she hasn’t laid in 4 yrs my next 2 females are still laying which surprised me when they started back this year. They all pretty much hang out in the front yard of their property. But all are still walking good and eating good. I remember a member a few years ago who had a Pekin that was 12 yrs old. It’s just not easy to figure out how long they will live we just have to make sure they are being fed a good wholesome diet and are kept safe. Hopefully your Pekin still has many years left.

Back
Top Bottom