Views on McMurray

Celtic Hill

Songster
9 Years
Mar 7, 2010
Scotland CT
What are your guys thoughts of MuMurray? Don't scare me too much i just ordered chicks from them, My neighbors bought chicks from them in the past and it was good. Anything stand out about them above or below other hatcherys?

Thanks, Ian

I ordered from them last year no problem and I am getting chicks and ducklings from them next week.

I've ordered from McMurray twice. The first time they sent me one extra (of one of the breeds that I ordered), and everybody arrived healthy. The second time they had to substitute one of the breeds with something different. I had given them two acceptable substitute breeds, and they used one of those, so we were fine with it. They also sent us one extra chick. One was dead in the box when it arrived, but since they included an extra, we didn't ask for any replacements or reimbursement. The second order is 2 weeks old now, and they're all healthy.

I've never ordered from any other places, so I can't compare them.

I've ordered from Murray McMurray twice. Both I experienced casualties, but most were not because of the hatchery. (or so I think. . . .)

If you just want layers, sure, you'll get that. Most of my birds started at 7 months, no matter what breed. (although I never bought layer breeds. . . I got dual purpose and ornamentals)

If you want something more than that; Rare breeds, ornamentals, show birds, birds that look like they're supposed to, birds that are purebred: Their Aruacana/Americanas are of course Easter Eggers, a mutt chicken. No hatchery sells Araucanas. Their Brahmas tend to be crossed with Sussex, probably to increase egg laying and growth. Their Wyandottes look typical hatchery. They're very hardy though. And so forth. . . They're okay but remember that Murray McMurray is a very old hatchery, so their stock is most likely very old and possibly inbred. I say possibly because I have no solid proof and don't want to start an argument.

Infact, in a short story, if you want to see what these breeds look like from Murray McMurray, just ask me for photos:

Brahmas
Turkens (naked necks)
Easter Eggers (advertised as Araucanas)
Crested Polish (silver laced and white crested black)
Silver Laced Wyandottes
New Hampshire Reds

I would love to see some of the Crested Polish, that what i ordered.

So what exactly do you mean about the "quality of the bird?" Like show quality?

This year I got my order 5 DOA and within the 48 hour live guarantee 13 dead out of 26.They were 4 days old on delivery-were a day old when shipped plus they ship over the weekend to get here on Tues.They offered to send me the 13 plus 13 packing peanut roos..don't think so So I had to place a second order for 25 and pay all the shipping-they should be paying half of it since they would have shipped all of those roos free.If I get a bunch more doa it will be refund time.
And no the quality is not very good..I was just needing a few for a project to start with-those all died

so glad you asked. i do not care for mcmurry.they have bad shipping practices and a high mortality rate because chicks have a 3 day yolk supply, and in my experience mcmurry chicks dont arrive till day 4. too long. alot of doa, and then deaths soon after. birds that survive dont look all that great, i would speculate alot of inbreeding or something, because there seems to be more cross beaks and L shaped legs than other hatcheries ive ordered from. this is my personal experience. i dont buy from them ever now. and i wont. in my opinion, you can get better from other places for less. that is my experience anyway.

Quote:
some people might mean show quality when they say that, but to me, i would refer to the overall quality, like is it healthy, is it deformed, like crossbeak or something, and does it look like the actual breed.

Quote:
An old sayin, " it costs just as much to feed and raise a Exhibition birds as hatchery birds.
Do not be afraid of payin a bit more to get better quality.

Back
Top Bottom