1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Vinegar in water

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by cc chickens, Jul 22, 2016.

1. cc chickens

cc chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2016
    Alabama
    Ive hear that you can put regular household vingar in your 1 gallon waterers to keep the algae out? If thats true how much would you use in a 1 gallon waterer?

2. Pendragonz

Pendragonz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2015
    NWA
    You can definitely use vinegar to keep down the algae growth. I would use apple cider vinegar though for the health benefits to the birds. I'm now sure how healthy regular distilled vinegar is. Get a bottle of ACV with the mother still in it, and use 2Tsp. It keeps down the algae, and has health benefits to the birds.

3. cc chickens

Jul 17, 2016
    Alabama
    Awesome!! Thank you.

4. Pendragonz

Oct 10, 2015
    NWA
    By 1 gallon waterer I was assuming you meant plastic. Is that correct? You should not use vinegar in the metal waterers, it can leach toxins out of the metal. That would not be good for your chickens. Also, you cannot feed fermented feed from a metal feeder for the same reason. I feed the fermented feed and feed them from a vinyl rain gutter feeder. Just FYI.

5. cc chickens

Jul 17, 2016
    Alabama
    yes, the plastic ones. I dont like the metal feeders or water containers. Thank you.

6. jenxsawyer

jenxsawyer Just Hatched

Jun 29, 2016
    Is there too young a bird to use ACV with? My chicks are almost 5 weeks and I would love to do this as well!

7. cc chickens

Jul 17, 2016
    Alabama
    that's a good question, I have some that are 2 1/2 weeks old.

8. romita

romita Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2016
    NY
    I was literally just reading about vinegar in The Chicken Health Handbook by Gail Damerow (fyi). She recommends adding 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar to each gallon of water and 2 tablespoons if you have hard water. She also says not to use vinegar if you have a hen suffering from heat stress --- don't know where you are, but we're having a heat wave... I guess the vinegar causes the birds to drink more (and then consequently to eat more).

9. cc chickens

Jul 17, 2016
    Alabama
    Thanks! I'll be sure to check her out.Heat wave is an understatement, Im in NE Alabama, & its been horribly hot. Ive been changing water in the plastic containers 2x a day. I also have a vita pack that I put in the water containers that has electrolytes.

10. Pendragonz

Oct 10, 2015
    NWA
    I have started mine with the ACV the day that I got them, and they did just fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by