vintage pin-back button collectors

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by alldembirds, Mar 23, 2015.

1. alldembirds

alldembirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2013
    Years ago I met a couple of hippies who made pinback buttons, I thought it was pretty neat so I bought a machine for us and we started making our own buttons, That got me interested in all kinds of buttons, One day at an antique store I found a shavers permit from 1957, I thought it looked funny and had no idea what it was referring to. I bought it, looked it up and have been collecting buttons since. I don't really like new buttons, I have been adding a lot of buttons to our button collection lately, these ones are mostly pre-1940 some of course are newer and doubles in my pictures becouse i'm lazy and it looked good. I dont know what a lot of them are for half the fun of a button collection is researching the buttons history. I have a lot more, easily 100 more from the 50's -70's .... Anybody else collect buttons?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ChickenLoveRI

ChickenLoveRI Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2015
    Smithfield, Rhode Island
    Hello!! My mom recently passed away in a car accident and she was a HUGE vintage button collector. She sold them on Etsy and on Ebay. I recently just started getting into it to keep a part of her with me. She loved them and I am starting to learn why. They are all so different and interesting.

Kirby

3. ChickenLoveRI

Mar 15, 2015
    Smithfield, Rhode Island
    Oh wait, let me clarify, she collected pinhole buttons. But either way, still pretty cool.

4. alldembirds

Oct 19, 2013
    whats a pinhole button? when I google it it just brings up camera parts...

I just started collecting fold tab buttons also

5. ChickenLoveRI

Mar 15, 2015
    Smithfield, Rhode Island
    Pinhole buttons... Like on shirts. Lol I didn't know what else to call it. Ha! I'm new to the whole button this myself.

6. alldembirds

Oct 19, 2013
    oh lol, textile buttons or clothing buttons , My wife has several giant jars her 83 year old grannie has been saving since forever. the other day we were looking through them and found some really nice looking ones. I did find a big half dollar sized mother of pearl button I did particularly like.

7. ChickenLoveRI

Mar 15, 2015
    Smithfield, Rhode Island
    Sounds awesome!! Now that I understand what you mean by pin back buttons I had a giant new kids on the block pin of Donny walber when I was a kid. He's my homeboy! Lolol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by