Violation notice

2 Chickens per acre does not make any sense. Get rid of the rooster, get a privacy fence (or wall), and let it be. I used to live in AZ (Phoenix and Tucson). I see random neighborhoods have chickens all over and never got bothered by the town/village.

a permit for a Chicken Coop
I'm in the county, but my local city has that as well except for portable or pre-fab (worthless, imo). That said, I think I'm in violation of most codes for my zoning. They really don't make it easy to find zone specific codes. I am guessing that nobody lives close enough to be bothered or are just not bothered. Sometimes I can hear another rooster off in the distance.

I'm in prescott valley too! I would join you to help change the code on this. Especially after having covid issues and not being able to get food for my family, it should be pretty easy to have a leg to stand in for wanting chickens. I can understand no roosters, but what's with the 2 chicken limit? So if you have an acre, you can either have 2 chickens or 2 horses. Like ummm guys that's a massive difference.

The town of Prescott Valley finally changed their ordinance (6-02-030) and as of a few months ago (April 13, 2023). They now allow up to 10 chickens (no rooster) per residential lot. Be sure to take note of the location limits (e.g., setbacks from property line and easement). No roaming at-large (free ranging) outside of your own property. Is still a good idea to double check before getting the chickens again, but at least there's finally some hope! :)

We're looking into getting some chicks... anyone else in the Prescott Valley AZ area getting chickens?

I've helped write legislation in many States, opposed some, helped redraft others, while supporting yet more - all on a different subject. Sad to say, in my experience, legislative change was more often driven by a particular constituent of particular importance to the legislator, or a high profile public event, rather than a clear understanding of the effect of current legislation and a desire to alter policy for a public good.
This is exactly why democracy is fundamentally broken, and why Plato has been correct all along for thousands of years

This is exactly why democracy is fundamentally broken, and why Plato has been correct all along for thousands of years
I'm thankful that the people in charge of zoning actually listened and eventually adapted the zoning to permit chickens in our area. It took them a while, but they did eventually make the change. I understand not allowing roosters in an area where the homes are on small residential lots. But this is evidence that even though the system is usually slow, sometimes it still works.

Back
Top Bottom