1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Violently shaking hatching duckling. Help!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by animegalash, Aug 21, 2011.

1. animegalash

animegalash Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2011
    We are trying to save a duckling that was in an incubator where a rotten egg exploded. The duckling was in the egg upside down, and we were unable to find that it was like that until we were cleaning the incubator out. We ended up trying to help it out of the egg because the membrane was drying up. It is now most of the way out of the egg. Temperature is good in the area we have it, and we are trying to get the humitity up. Its legs were shaking a lot a few minutes ago and it still shakes a little. It seems a little swollen in its butt.

Is there anything I can do? or is it a waiting game? It is fighting to get out, and its shaking has gone down since i have started typing. Should it live? Chances?

2. Silkie Sue

Silkie Sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2007
    Sarnia, Ontario
    getting out of an egg is a very hard thing to do and i would just give the little guy some time.... [​IMG] he should be just fine
    Congratulations

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    If you had the incubator open for a while for cleaning- and also the egg was out of the incubator while you were trying to help it out- it was most likely just very cold and given a chance to warm up agin it should stop if nothing else was causing it.

4. animegalash

animegalash Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2011
    Well, he didn't make it. [​IMG] Died a few minutes ago and we went to bury him. He was doing fine, but then he just stopped breathing.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    So sorry to hear that.. [​IMG]

6. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    So very sorry to hear about your baby. [​IMG]

7. Silkie Sue

Silkie Sue Chillin' With My Peeps