Violet: Rhode Island Red- 6 weeks- pullet? or no?

rhaj

Songster
13 Years
May 30, 2010
NE'ern Connecticut
I have 3 Rhode Island Reds that many people thought were all roos... some people did say that RIR are notorious for getting early combs and that we couldn't necessarily go by that. I took some quick videos of each of them, thinking maybe it would be better to see them with. I am hoping that someone can see something other than the comb that would suggest pullet or roo.

This one is Violet, I think my most likely one to be a pullet. The other 2 videos still need to be uploaded and I need to take my daughter to dance class, so I'll be back later with those.

Thoughts on Violet?

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v11/ives6797/?action=view&current=004-13.mp4

EDIT- Nov 2010: VIOLET is a laying HEN.

Last edited:
I still say cockerel. lol My pullets never had combs this early. Only when they started to lay did any sign of a comb come into view.

Yep its a roo. Another indication that it is a roo is its white facial area, pullets have browner faces, my Speckled Sussex are the same way.

All four of my RIR (and my four leghorns) are pinking up a bit near the base of the comb at seven weeks, and since they were supposedly vent sexed (MPC) I doubt they are ALL roosters (if they are, wow am I going to have fun). However, none of mine has a white face and I notice all of mine are considerably bigger than the one in the video. I think I feed them too many treats
smile.png
. I've heard here that roos can be 'late bloomers'. I am staying in roo-denial until last moment.
big_smile.png

I can't guess on your chicken - would not be fair since I'm a relative newbie. We'll just have to wait till they lay eggs/crow/grow out those saddle feathers!

Last edited:
This is bad. How does this happen? 3 out of 3 when they are supposed to be 90-95% accurate???

I had high hopes for Violet because her comb really doesn't look much different from my red sex links combs...

Well if we both have all roo rir's we can share a virtual drink together!
smile.png
I'm not rehoming mine until I hear a crow or see saddle feathers, as I said earlier. It's all educational to me (although rehoming will be a PITA if it's necessary). If you don't rehome violet, make sure to update in a few months as to what s/he turned out to be.

Just wanted to update this post in case anyone came across it on a search. Violet is most definitely NOT a cockerel. She is a LAYING HEN.

I know this is a reaaaaallyyyy old thread, but is there anyway you could repost the pic of violet at 6 weeks. I might be be in a similar situation and would hate to give mine away if it's really a she!

Back
Top Bottom