Virgin Chicken Momma and Daddy...

K1Chickies

In the Brooder
May 22, 2015
Rhode Island
So what started as a project with a local farm to take eggs into my classroom and incubate them turned into my husband and I adopting four of our more "developmentally delayed" little fuzz balls. We've adopted two Rhode Island Reds and two Dominiques, and we're hoping that they're all going to stay nice little chirpy things for a while so that we can get the hang of chicken business and hopefully they'll all be ladies!! :) Even if they're not, we will figure it out... Our shih-tzu has taken a liking to them, and is fascinated with everything they're doing in their brooder box... he also enjoys attempting to clean them which has been amusing... Thankfully I have a cousin and friend who also have backyard chickens to help me out!! This is going to be an exciting venture!!! :)

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Congrats on the great hatch! Chickens are so addicting. Once you see them hatch, there is no turning back. Ha!

Make yourself at home here. If you have any questions about your chicks, sexes, building the coop, health questions, etc..., feel free to ask around the forums.

Enjoy this new adventure you are on and welcome to our flock!

Here are our little ones!!! Two Dominiques (black) and two Rhode Island Reds... We've chosen the names Carbon for the larger Dominique, Peeper for the smaller Dominique, Chocobo for the yellow guy and Brownie for the little brown!

Peeper is sort of the reason why I have these guys.... He was born spraddle legged and seemed VERY delayed when we took him out of the incubator, and we didn't think he would live past that first day, another chicken born almost the same way literally held him up and walked him around the sides of the box for the first few hours... it was really sweet... I looked online for some ways to help him and settled on the band-aid method as they were readily available in our first aid kit... He's now made it almost a week and is walking upright and bouncing around as best he can!!! He's still very small compared to the rest... so instead of taking him back to the farm, I bought him and some "friends" to keep them company....

We attempted to select them by gender (with the exception of Peeper) and tried going with identifying the spots on the Dominique's heads as signs that they could be female... and checking the down feathers on the Red's to see their orientation and whether or not they had the white spots on the webbing... I'm pretty sure they'll be female... but I wasn't comfortable venting them... We're gonna wait it out and see! Although for some reason I keep talking about Peeper as if he's a boy so maybe karma will catch up with me in the end...

Here are our little ones!!! Two Dominiques (black) and two Rhode Island Reds... We've chosen the names Carbon for the larger Dominique, Peeper for the smaller Dominique, Chocobo for the yellow guy and Brownie for the little brown!

Peeper is sort of the reason why I have these guys.... He was born spraddle legged and seemed VERY delayed when we took him out of the incubator, and we didn't think he would live past that first day, another chicken born almost the same way literally held him up and walked him around the sides of the box for the first few hours... it was really sweet... I looked online for some ways to help him and settled on the band-aid method as they were readily available in our first aid kit... He's now made it almost a week and is walking upright and bouncing around as best he can!!! He's still very small compared to the rest... so instead of taking him back to the farm, I bought him and some "friends" to keep them company....

We attempted to select them by gender (with the exception of Peeper) and tried going with identifying the spots on the Dominique's heads as signs that they could be female... and checking the down feathers on the Red's to see their orientation and whether or not they had the white spots on the webbing... I'm pretty sure they'll be female... but I wasn't comfortable venting them... We're gonna wait it out and see! Although for some reason I keep talking about Peeper as if he's a boy so maybe karma will catch up with me in the end...
Keep up all the lovin' on your babies!! Adorable!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom