Virgin Mary chicken?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ctesta, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Yes

14 vote(s)
    48.3%
  2. No

15 vote(s)
    51.7%
  1. ctesta

ctesta Chirping

Apr 26, 2017
    1D75D12B-28B3-40AA-B0CA-376A90055CDC.jpeg Hi everyone,
    Is this egg fertile? We’ve raised chickens before and had some that we ended up hatching so I know about the “bullseye” on fertile eggs. We only have two hens now that just started laying and I swear that this egg has the fertile halo around it! Input please :)

WannaBeHillBilly and townchicks like this.
  2. EggWalrus

EggWalrus Crowing

Aug 14, 2017
    Southeast Alabama
    Looks like it.

3. ctesta

ctesta Chirping

Apr 26, 2017
    But we only have two hens in an enclosed yard...however, our smaller hen hasn’t started laying yet but we would know if she was a roo. So confused!:idunno

4. 55fingers

55fingers Chirping

Jul 9, 2017
    How long have you had them (or did you raise them)? Any chance they'd been with a male in the past..? Or.. I don't know.. do you live in an area with stray roosters?

It looks like a fertile egg to me. That's very strange.

Maybe she got some ideas from the dinosaurs from "Jurassic Park" :p

5. ctesta

ctesta Chirping

Apr 26, 2017
    We’ve raised them since they were hatchlings and there are no chickens near! Plus our yard is completely enclosed. We live in San Diego so chickens aren’t really a big thing down here. But it’s supeer strange, I guess I’ll try to hatch some and see if anything comes of it!
    Haha too funny but that’s what I’m feeling like because I can’t solve this riddle!!:confused:

This is the only pictures of the girls that I have right now. The barhama is the one that just started laying and the buff Orpington hasn’t laid yet but they’re both 6 months old. This yolk situation made me concerned that the Orpington might be a roo but she has no roo characteristics. :fl

Attached Files:

WannaBeHillBilly likes this.
  6. EggWalrus

EggWalrus Crowing

Aug 14, 2017
    Southeast Alabama
    Can you post a pic that's more of a close up? From far, they both look like hens.
    Have you heard the one about the woman from afar? She looked good from far, but when you got close, she looked far from good!
    :lol::lau:gig

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  7. EggWalrus

EggWalrus Crowing

Aug 14, 2017
    Southeast Alabama
    You may have a Tranny Rooster dressing in drag!
    :barnie:gig:lau:eek:

8. Henrik Petersson

Henrik Petersson Crowing

Jan 9, 2009
    Karlskrona, Sweden
    As Sherlock Holmes said: "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

I think your Orpington is a rooster. It sure looks like a hen, but when I squint my eyes, those feathers right in front of the tail do seem a bit saddle-feathery and those neck feathers seem a tad bit hackle-feathery...

EggWalrus, aart and ctesta like this.
  9. RodNTN

RodNTN Hatchaolic

May 22, 2013
    The Volunteer State
    My Coop
    They both look pretty female to me :lau Can we please see a picture up close?

10. ctesta

ctesta Chirping

Apr 26, 2017
    :lau:gig:lau
    You all have me cracking up!
    Here is a picture of our ladies (maybe just lady:barnie)
    If our Buff Orpington is a roo, he/she has NEVER made a peep and has shown no roster behaviors. But she hasn’t laid yet...

Attached Files:

puffypoo and EggWalrus like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: