Virginia is For BYC Lovers

I'm from Stafford. Hopefully this thread hasn't died out completely. View attachment 2855621
I'm from Stafford. Hopefully this thread hasn't died out completely. View attachment 2855621
Hi there. I just joined this site and I am
Hi there. I just joined this website and found your post. We live in Midland. We are neighbors.

Welcome! So nice to see others here in the Commonwealth. I haven't been keeping up with this in a while because it didn't really seem to find its audience.
My girls have grown now and are laying pretty well... though not exactly where I would like. I'm not yet seeing a slow down for Winter, so that's nice. How are things with the rest of my Virginia neighbors?

Welcome! So nice to see others here in the Commonwealth. I haven't been keeping up with this in a while because it didn't really seem to find its audience.
My girls have grown now and are laying pretty well... though not exactly where I would like. I'm not yet seeing a slow down for Winter, so that's nice. How are things with the rest of my Virginia neighbors?
Hi. We are a new chicken family. We have 5 girls and one Roo. We have a young group. Only one is currently laying, but hopefully we will have more in time.

Hi. We are a new chicken family. We have 5 girls and one Roo. We have a young group. Only one is currently laying, but hopefully we will have more in time.
I had a beautiful Cockerel but had to get rid of him because of zoning. The neighbors are very patient with the hens but I'm not sure they would have enjoyed early morning wake up calls.

I had a beautiful Cockerel but had to get rid of him because of zoning. The neighbors are very patient with the hens but I'm not sure they would have enjoyed early morning wake up calls.
I currently have -ahem- 7 roosters. Got the first crow about a week ago. Just waiting for the rest to start. I really don't want to get rid of any of them, but my mom says I have too and they keep fighting with each other. I noticed Blizzard had a limp and his comb is all scratched.

I'm no chicken expert, but everything I read says roosters don't do well together unless they have a lot of hens (like, maybe 7 each) to tend to. Mine was a Columbian Wyandotte and he would have been GORGEOUS but he was also getting aggressive. I am definitely a proponent of "being a good steward" of the resource, and that may mean letting go of some of the Roos. For me it did.

Sorry that happened to you. We have no problems here. And so far the roo is not very loud. We are getting ready for the winter with the chickens. We are stocking up on hay and their food. How are you getting ready for the winter?

Back
Top Bottom