Virginia

What is npip certified and how do I go about it? How important is it? I remember seeing something about it but didn't read it...

I just wanted to check in and introduce myself on the VA thread! I have been living in Isle of Wight county for about 10 years now, but I have also called VA Beach, Surry, and Mouth of Wilson home in the past. It's nice to see so many fellow Virginians from all over the state on this site.

Quote:
Hello from Suffolk. I used to live in Portsmouth. Not many BYCers in SE Virginia, but there seems to be many chicken people between us (between Suffolk and Isle of Wight). I missed last weekend's chicken swap at the Franklin TSC, but there will be many others.

Greetings, Little One!
frow.gif

From Central VA.

D'Angelo N Va. :

What is npip certified and how do I go about it? How important is it? I remember seeing something about it but didn't read it...

Hey D'Angelo. I'm not exactly sure myself. But I know they test your chickens to be sure they're not carrying diseases. I think the agency we have to call is located in Staunton. I'll look into it more and let you know what I find out. Maybe we can schedule them to certify us on the same day since we live so close.​

Quote:
Hello from Suffolk. I used to live in Portsmouth. Not many BYCers in SE Virginia, but there seems to be many chicken people between us (between Suffolk and Isle of Wight). I missed last weekend's chicken swap at the Franklin TSC, but there will be many others.

Hello, neighbor! I will have look into the Franklin chicken swap for sometime in the future...but I can't bring home any more chickens right now.

D'Angelo N Va. :

The state vet comes out and checks your place out.Nothing to tough,just needs to see how many chickens per coop and how clean you keep it.They do a blood test on the chickens to check for samonila and one other illness.I don't think there is a charge for it.You can also become a tester and test your own birds.
When you become NPIP certified you can only buy from others who are also (which is a good thing) also you run a closed flock.You can still sell your birds and eggs but people can not go near your birds at all.​

Back
Top Bottom