Virginia

The state vet comes out and checks your place out.Nothing to tough,just needs to see how many chickens per coop and how clean you keep it.They do a blood test on the chickens to check for samonila and one other illness.I don't think there is a charge for it.You can also become a tester and test your own birds.
When you become NPIP certified you can only buy from others who are also (which is a good thing) also you run a closed flock.You can still sell your birds and eggs but people can not go near your birds at all.

Not quite correct. You will have to get a tester to come out and test your birds. They do not pay any attention to your coops/brooders/conditions ect. The ones I talk to do charge for their time and gas. It's up to you if you want to keep a closed flock or not. It's always a good idea to keep your flock closed but you still are NPIP if you don't.

Brandon​

Quote:
Not quite correct. You will have to get a tester to come out and test your birds. They do not pay any attention to your coops/brooders/conditions ect. The ones I talk to do charge for their time and gas. It's up to you if you want to keep a closed flock or not. It's always a good idea to keep your flock closed but you still are NPIP if you don't.

Brandon

Right that's all they do if you JUST want to test your birds for show or whatever but if you want to be certified they have to come out to your home
smile.png
and you can only buy from NPIP .There is no charge to be certified but the tester may charge gas it depends on the tester and how far they have drive.
Call the state vet and they can answer all your questions

Last edited:
D'Angelo N Va. :

Wow! That's deep. Hmmm I might not want that because friends, co-workers are always coming to look at my chickens/ ducks.

Yeah I thought that was a little hard to swallow. How can you keep people from seeing your flock if you want to sell some of them? I intend to be NPIP certified but I let anyone see them that wants to.​

Quote:
Yeah I thought that was a little hard to swallow. How can you keep people from seeing your flock if you want to sell some of them? I intend to be NPIP certified but I let anyone see them that wants to.

I think it's the biosecurity that turns alot off people off from it.

Hoping someone here can help me out. I'd like to get my mom 2 more chickens for Christmas (but I'm not willing to drive 15 hours one way in the car with 2 birds from my flock).

She has 3 white leghorns right now and wants a brown egg layer and a green egg layer to add to the flock, ideally. She'd like them to be POL or slightly older (but less than 6 months old). We'd also ask that they be lice/mite/worm/etc free and quarantined for 3-4 weeks under your care. She would like a RIR to be the brown egg layer, although anything that lays brown eggs and is quiet is okay, too. My dad could pick them up or I could pay additionally for you to deliver them. They're in Mineral/Louisa area.

Do any of you have any birds in that area that you're selling that would fit the above "wish list" and be willing to help me out?

Thanks!

There is a lady "Jamie" on here that has brown egg layers that are young.Can not remember the breeds other than sussex .They are beautiful birds.I am thinking she has EEs also.
Hope she sees this and responds/If not I will call her tomorrow.She lives about ten mimutes from the walmart here in Louisa.Her birds are well cared for and have already wormed,no lice.

Back
Top Bottom