Virginia

Martha, the broody game hen, patiently sits her nest. Another two weeks and we'll have a 'coming out' party! Hats, party favors, tossin' back a little scratch and chillin' with the peeps...

Very cool picture....my first time seeing a brooding hen:)

I am also in Fairfax, and got my 10 chicks, various breeds, in October. Got our first egg today, woohoo! Just when I was starting to give up hope! They kept kicking all the hay, plastic eggs, etc out of the egg boxes, so I was beginning to wonder if they had any idea at all about what they are supposed to do in there, lol.

I am also in Fairfax, and got my 10 chicks, various breeds, in October. Got our first egg today, woohoo! Just when I was starting to give up hope! They kept kicking all the hay, plastic eggs, etc out of the egg boxes, so I was beginning to wonder if they had any idea at all about what they are supposed to do in there, lol.

Congrats! I feel like I cheated a little bit and bought adult hens at auction and then 6 chicks 2 weeks ago...I didn't want to have to wait that long! Oh well....none the less congrats!

I'm in Manassas by the way, so we're neighbors!

Great! We are very close to Manassas. I don't blame you for starting with adult hens! The count down to the first egg seemed to take FOREVER! But, they are about 22 weeks, so I guess this is right on time (and may be related to the lengthening days).

Quote:
superbroodymomma. she LOVES brooding babies but stinks as a real mother... she'd rather just sit there, show them food, water, talk to them and keep them warm. when it comes to being on the ground in a pen, she forgets she has babies and only occasionally remembers to let them get warm. this pic was taken, she had 32 chicks under her ranging in age from day old to 3 weeks old.

Got buff orpingtons today! Southern States (Harris Street) actually didn't have any of the same chicks as they got last year. They had Buff Orpingtons, Golden Comet Sex Links, and Barred Rocks (which were sold out). We brought home 12 Buffs :) Pics to come later today. I didnt' realize how much our SLWs had grown. They're easily twice the size of the Buffs..and are scared of them. But my oh my are they friendly! Our SLWs are really skittish still...getting better, but still have a long ways to go. Offered a handful of feed, and immediately had 7 buff babies hop on my hand to eat lol.

Got buff orpingtons today! Southern States (Harris Street) actually didn't have any of the same chicks as they got last year. They had Buff Orpingtons, Golden Comet Sex Links, and Barred Rocks (which were sold out). We brought home 12 Buffs :) Pics to come later today. I didnt' realize how much our SLWs had grown. They're easily twice the size of the Buffs..and are scared of them. But my oh my are they friendly! Our SLWs are really skittish still...getting better, but still have a long ways to go. Offered a handful of feed, and immediately had 7 buff babies hop on my hand to eat lol.

Yep, they grow up so fast
sad.png

I am in west side of Fairfax County, near Loudoun.    Let me know if there is a get together, please!

I'm in Hamilton! The wind is CRAZY!

My chickens did great through the winter. I got them in October so this was my first winter. I. was a wreck about them at night a lot, but I now know I didn't need to be.

:)

My first winter with the chickens, too. They did fine without any supplemental heat in the wood coop. Today I noticed a spot of frostbite on the comb of one BR hen. The rooster may have a spot on his comb as well. But everyone else looks great. Two hens laid eggs all winter. Now I am getting 4-6 per day from 6 hens.
Spring is here I think. It was sure a lovely day today.

Back
Top Bottom