Virginia

I'm in Fairfax looking to bring chickens to an independent school on 20+ acres. We are looking to start with 5 or so as part of an existing gardening and nature program. Any tips?

I don't know of any
I'm in Fairfax looking to bring chickens to an independent school on 20+ acres. We are looking to start with 5 or so as part of an existing gardening and nature program. Any tips?
Are you hatching chicks, buying day olds, or getting started pullets and/or adults? Hatching would probably be very educational for students, and I'd recommend a 7 egg brinsea, you can usually find one on eBay for less than $90.00.

I was thinking sexed pullets would be a good start since school is almost out for the summer - we are looking to get started in late summer in time for next school year. The primary interest is for eggs. The students already harvest from the school garden for the lunch program. I don't think we'd want to commit to enough chickens for all the eggs used at lunch, but a couple dozen a week may be realistic.

The school has 20+ acres, but I'm not sure we'll have more than a few hundred square feet to use for the chickens. I'm also concerned about the school's proximity to a dense wooded area (>50% of the school's and surrounding land is unimproved per county zoning). I'm also concerned about care and feeding on weekends and the number of daylight hours that the chickens would likely be unsupervised (some staff on site approx 7am to 7pm but generally inside working).

For two dozen a week, five is a good number, like you mentioned.

I don't know what your budget is, but you may want to consider investing in an automatic coop door. It can cost up to $300, but your birds will need to be closed up at night, and in the summer, they might not go in until close to 9:15 pm.

You can buy large feeders and waterers that should last them over a weekend, though it would be good to have someone check on them at least once over the weekend.

Make sure your setup is very predator proof, since you won't be there much at nighttime, when predators are prowling.

Just eggs? You should get a breed that is know for laying rather than meat or dual purpose. Most likely the inexpensive way is get RIR pullets from a feed store .
I wouldn't always recommend hatchery RIRs for dual purpose, a lot of hatcheries haven't bred them for that purpose so they are on the smaller side. Not all places just some.

All,

I've got up to 12 pure Svarthona chicks and 6 Swedish Bluebar x Svarthona (so blue or black with green eggs) hatching this weekend. I'm in Virgina. Local pickup only. PM me if you are interested. I can vaccinate if required.

I also have hatching eggs.

Back
Top Bottom