Virginia

Hello folks! I'm new to the thread an will be "hopefully" moving back to Virginia this fall. Our home is in Williamsburg, but part of York county. I know a permit is needed for chicken and it is base on the size of the lot as to how many chickens you can have. Just wondering if anyone has gone through this process and can give me some advice. I have a small lot 4800 sf(2500 sf per chicken is the requirement)and currently own 3 chickens. Any one been through the process of getting a permit for extra chickens? Basically any advice at all would be nice!

Last edited:
Wow! It is FREEZING out there! So I've given the flock some warm mash and treats for breakfast. I've put more straw in their coop, in their nesting hut and in their run. And I've traded their waterers out several times today because they keep icing over. And I'm about to give them some more warm mash. I am freezing, but they act like they're alright. And all five of my hens laid an egg today, despite these frigid temperatures.

Yeah this cold weather is a pain. I've got some heated waterers but haven't hooked them up yet. So far I'm just taking heated water out to the chickies twice a day. I think watering is the biggest pain when it comes to chickens. Algae build up in the summer and ice in the winter. There needs to be an easier way.

Last edited:
watering in the cold is a pain when you have so many breeding pens. finding a few eggs warms me up. i am collecting for my first incubation of the year. the chicks will be delawares and cubalaya grades.(3/4 cubalaya and 1/4 thai)

I went out this morning to find my plastic gallon size waterers (the kind with the red base that screws on the bottom) busted from ice :barnie So I took a couple if my metal mixing bowls out for them to use until it warms up. I'll be so glad when Spring gets here!!!
Nikki

This is my first year with them, and from what I've read, I'm am SOO glad that I only have 1 pen and 1 waterer. So far the birdbath de-icer is working well
(even with the strongly discouraged 100' outdoor extension cord)
hide.gif

I have chicks popping out everywhere this morning. First babies from my Auracana hens and BCM rooster, "Wyatt". They.re all gorgeous but will need some input on what their colors will be. It's snowing here. Stay warm and safe, everyone.

watering in the cold is a pain when you have so many breeding pens. finding a few eggs warms me up. i am collecting for my first incubation of the year. the chicks will be delawares and cubalaya grades.(3/4 cubalaya and 1/4 thai)
I think I'll start collecting in about a week. My first batch will be Stukel line Barred Rocks, Delawares and New Hampshires. If the Colombian rocks ever decide to start laying I may include some of those.

ROFL i'll start collecting when my eggs aren't frozen solid and cracked in half!

at least the dog's eating well.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom