Virginia

Thanks for your responses. Any experience getting fertilized eggs shipped? We've worked with the local 4-H before but we missed the boat this year. Anyone semi-local have Maran or Welsummer eggs for sale?

Thanks for your responses. Any experience getting fertilized eggs shipped? We've worked with the local 4-H before but we missed the boat this year. Anyone semi-local have Maran or Welsummer eggs for sale?
i know that Donna, DMRippy has nice black copper marans, and i've had great results with her eggs. she's in TN and does ship. send her a PM. and I think Beth, BHep in NC has welsummers. again i had good hatches from her too. both of those i mentioned have a wide assortment of breeds, so it might be worth a PM to them and see what you can get.

also, i know of a breeder local to roanoke that raises welsummers, and usually has birds at the roanoke and christiansburg swaps each month. Don't know his last name or anything else tho. sorry. but i might see him next saturday in c'burg, if the weather cooperates (and it's supposed to!) but i don't think he ships eggs. but hatches all he can...

Last edited:
The problem with living in Virginia, though is the shipping restrictions. You have to be NPIP and AI certified and then also get a letter of permission in order to ship into our state. Most people don't bother unless they are a larger hatchery.

Really sucks for getting new stock in from people who just do one or two breeds.

The problem with living in Virginia, though is the shipping restrictions. You have to be NPIP and AI certified and then also get a letter of permission in order to ship into our state. Most people don't bother unless they are a larger hatchery.

Really sucks for getting new stock in from people who just do one or two breeds.
actually i've gotten eggs and adult birds shipped from all over the country, from other breeders who are not npip or otherwise... most local po don't even know the regulations. i've asked.

I have to share my Hawk story...You won't believe this but today as usual when the kids got home from school I told them they had to go let the chickens out and keep watch for the coopers hawk and red tailed hawk that have been hanging around (I have not let them out unsupervised since this summer when a coopers hawk was sitting on the tree right beside the run waiting for his dinner, now I only let the girls out when someone is out with them and this has become one of the kids chores to let the girls out for at least 30 min each day regardless of weather and stay with them). Not 5 min. after my son ( who is turning 11 tomorrow) let them out he comes running in for the treat container, I ask him what are you doing (since he just let them out it wasn't time to put them up) and he says, the girls are squawking like crazy (which means they have spotted something that frightened them). So out we go to put them up, some had already went into the run, and there were still a handful out under a shrub. feathers sticking up and squawking like crazy. So I called them to go in and they wouldn't until I walked into the middle of the yard and there go 2 or 3 running like mad to get in the run. Well 3 of them decided they didn't want to come and were hiding under the shrubs. So my son closes the run door and comes to help me, I looked around but didn't see anything and my main concern was getting the girls in and then figuring out what was causing them to get upset. My son gets Haley (a banty). He is walking up the sidewalk holding Haley when the Coopers HAWK comes swooping across the yard right at him. I was standing by the shrubs with the 2 girls who hadn't gone in and couldn't believe my eyes, It was like slow motion but fast at the same time, like you can't move but you know you have to do something. It was CRAZY, imagine your child getting attacked by a hawk! It flew right at him, he ducked and Haley freaked out and jumped out of his hands. The Hawk attacks her and I go running trying to get the Hawk off of her (might not have been the smartest thing to do but at that moment I wasn't sure if my son had been hit and I didn't want the Hawk flying off with Haley). I started screaming and my son and I both went after the Hawk, the hawk let go of Haley and hit the fence and flew off and Haley ran to the other 2 girls who were hiding out under the shrubs. Poor Haley lost a lot of tail feathers but otherwise wasn't hurt. Then we had to get them all in without the Hawk attacking again. We managed but I was truly afraid it might try to attack again. that was the craziest thing I have ever seen. I always wondered if a hawk would attack when we had a chicken close by and now I know, that must be one hungry hawk. The girls won't be free ranging any time soon! I wish I had had the camera!! My son thinks it was pretty cool. I still can't believe it!!

I have to share my Hawk story...You won't believe this but today as usual when the kids got home from school I told them they had to go let the chickens out and keep watch for the coopers hawk and red tailed hawk that have been hanging around (I have not let them out unsupervised since this summer when a coopers hawk was sitting on the tree right beside the run waiting for his dinner, now I only let the girls out when someone is out with them and this has become one of the kids chores to let the girls out for at least 30 min each day regardless of weather and stay with them).  Not 5 min. after my son ( who is turning 11 tomorrow) let them out he comes running in for the treat container, I ask him what are you doing (since he just let them out it wasn't time to put them up) and he says, the girls are squawking like crazy (which means they have spotted something that frightened them).  So out we go to put them up, some had already went into the run, and there were still a handful out under a shrub. feathers sticking up and squawking like crazy.  So I called them to go in and they wouldn't until I walked into the middle of the yard and there go 2 or 3 running like mad to get in the run.  Well 3 of them decided they didn't want to come and were hiding under the shrubs.  So my son closes the run door and comes to help me, I looked around but didn't see anything and my main concern was getting the girls in and then figuring out what was causing them to get upset.  My son gets Haley (a banty).  He is walking up the sidewalk holding Haley when the Coopers HAWK comes swooping across the yard right at him.  I was standing by the shrubs with the 2 girls who hadn't gone in and couldn't believe my eyes,  It was like slow motion but fast at the same time, like you can't move but you know you have to do something.  It was CRAZY, imagine your child getting attacked by a hawk!  It flew right at him, he ducked and Haley freaked out and jumped out of his hands.  The Hawk attacks her and I go running trying to get the Hawk off of her (might not have been the smartest thing to do but at that moment I wasn't sure if my son had been hit and I didn't want the Hawk flying off with Haley).  I started screaming and my son and I both went after the Hawk, the hawk let go of Haley and hit the fence and flew off and Haley ran to the other 2 girls who were hiding out under the shrubs.  Poor Haley lost a lot of tail feathers but otherwise wasn't hurt.  Then we had to get them all in without the Hawk attacking again.  We managed but I was truly afraid it might try to attack again.  that was the craziest thing I have ever seen.  I always wondered if a hawk would attack when we had a chicken close by and now I know, that must be one hungry hawk.  The girls won't be free ranging any time soon!  I wish I had had the camera!!  My son thinks it was pretty cool.  I still can't believe it!!

Wow! Good thing that turned out well for your son and chicks.

You could go with Welsummer or Marans for dark brown. I've been trying for awhile now to get a dark layer. Finally managed to hatch one Blue Splash Copper Maran. She just started laying a couple of weeks ago. She's a sweet and large girl.
I LOVE my Welsummers...my Roo 'Mothers' anyone new to our flock. He is the sweetest, most gentle Rooster I have ever been around. Gorgeous too! I have one girl laying a dark chocolate egg daily and the other a more clay colored chocolate speckled egg. They are good sized eggs and pretty reliable layers.

Back
Top Bottom