Virginia

a couple of the breeders there, I can vouch for having nice home setups, they just raise so many to sell that it'd be near impossible to not crowd birds in the cages.

turnout was light yesterday, so nobody sold much I think...

Have to agree with this. There are plenty of reputable breeders at the swaps ... I'd say the majority take good care of their flocks. Crowded conditions at a swap is not indicative of crowded living conditions at home. No one can provide the same kind of space for the few hours they're at a swap that they do at home.

I've bought some very nice, healthy birds at the swaps in my area.

I went to this swap also, and, being new to this, I had no idea what was normal and what was not. Some of the vendors had sloppy, crammed booths and were very sloppy themselves. I hope that doesn't sound snooty

As for the seller "looking sloppy" ... I personally don't bother much with the latest in fashionable chicken swap attire. I moved out of the city and away from "fashionable" and towards "comfortable." :lol:

Last edited:
If I'm going to a swap, I always bathe and shave and wast the poo and feathers out between my toes whether I need to or not!
gig.gif

Just so y'all know, he really does look like a tall skinny d'Uccle before he washes betwixt his toes...as his older brother, I can say that!
tongue2.gif
wee.gif

Quote: LOL also consider, gathering up chickens at between 6 and 7am doesn't leave much time for a clothing change before you have to fly out of the house to get to the swap on time... I know I had a chicken footprint dead center of my t-shirt and some odd brownish markings on my pants too... most of which I didn't even notice until about 10am. LOL

LOL also consider, gathering up chickens at between 6 and 7am doesn't leave much time for a clothing change before you have to fly out of the house to get to the swap on time...  I know I had a chicken footprint dead center of my t-shirt and some odd brownish markings on my pants too... most of which I didn't even notice until about 10am. LOL

LOL ... reminds of the swap where I was loading up the truck and it wasn't quite daybreak yet. I put on a pair of pants that came out of the fresh laundry and they looked fine ...
until I got to the swap and the sun was full out. They were the badly stained pants that I clean out coops in. Nobody seemed to sneer or notice much though. ;)

Yeah.... I don't do prim, proper or even well dressed if I'm going to be rounding up birds in the semi dark and then spending all day out in the heat. Flip flops, hair scrunchie, floppy hat, comfortable t-shirt and ratty capris for me!! I try my hardest not to over crowd my birds but sometimes the best laid plans bite me in the arse that early in the morning.

As to swaps....
Dinwiddie swap at BT Hargraves on Saturday the 22nd from 8 - 12. We'll be behind the buildings so we'll be out of the high traffic areas for them. I'll be bringing dutch (CLB) chicks, just a few, and depending on what else hatches here in the next few days probably some quail and mutt mix chicks.
I'm in need of a silkie hen.... if anyone is coming with one, I'm in the black tahoe!

Back
Top Bottom