Virginia

Welcome to BYC!!! Lots of good folks and info here.

welcome-byc.gif

welcome Plarch! hope to hear more about you! what kind of chickens do you have or want to have? what kind of coop setup? any interesting tidbits about yourself?

We have snakes. I know WHY we have snakes. We have snakes because we have frogs. Thousands of frogs. When I walk around after dark I am wading through throngs of them. If the zombie apocalypse ever happens, I don’t have to worry about what to feed the chickens…they will go on an all protein diet of fricasseed frogs. We can go out at night and catch them in nets. It’ll be fine. Why do we have frogs? We are in the bend of a “run” (read: larger than a stream, smaller than a river) and I think because of the bend, we have the perfect breeding ground for them. So we will have frogs. And snakes.

But anyway: Back to the snakes: we killed yet another copperhead last night 10 feet from my front door (!!!) after a close encounter with one of our dogs. I usually have no problems with snakes, but poisonous ones around my dogs are not good. I think the dog is unbitten, couldn't find anything in a cursory exam. my mom was bitten by a copperhead once and spent months with her foot raised above heart level and not able to go to work or do anything besides lay there while her leg turned black.

And all those people that claim that blacksnakes wont abide a copperhead in their territory are delusional. We have them, too.
Snakes have been a big problem for me this year. I've already dealt with 3 black snakes. Two relocated a few miles away and one had to meet the 410 shotgun. He had already swallowed 2 of my day old chicks and there wasn't any way to capture him without escaping into the woods and he would certainly be back. I came home yesterday and found another chick missing so another snake is suspect. I don't think there's any way to snake proof an adult pen but I'm going to have to do a better job with my chick pens. We also lost our 20lb terrier last year to a copperhead. I know some say they're not fatal if treated but he went straight to the animal emergency hospital and died the next day from cardiac arrest. So I can't say this enough, be alert and cautious everywhere you go outside.

welcome Plarch! hope to hear more about you! what kind of chickens do you have or want to have? what kind of coop setup? any interesting tidbits about yourself?
If you check my post in the introductions thread, you can see the sort of chickens I've got! I just recently built my first coop with my stepdad. He calls in an "A frame" and it's a temporary fix to our escape artists who like to frolic in my neighbor's yard.
smile.png

Interesting tidbits? Let's see... I'm still in school, so I guess there isn't much to say! How about you?

hi there.i am in mineral va.new to chickens also I got 5 pullets and 1 rooster.i have had them since march 2.im just waiting for rooster to crow and hens to lay 1st egg.

I don't.

I am scared of it.
We lost two of our goats to listeriosis and since then I have been really paranoid about mold and stuff. it was an awful way to die.

we do think we know where it came from: BOSS that collected under our deck from the birdfeeders (because we were feeding the goats no grain at all) and fermented in between the decking and the plastic sheeting we had put up in there to allow us a dry place to store construction materials. listeriosis develops in silage in an anaerobic environment,

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom