Virginia

Sounds wonderful! What type of breeds will be there? How does the swap work? People just show up and can buy whatever? I assume it also means breeders can "swap" with each other - hence the name "swap"? (my mother did not raise a dummy :))

Sharon Kinsey
Follow YOur Dream Farm
www.followyourdreamfarm.net
it's $10 for a 10' space, nobody really swaps (tho some might) but you sell birds you don't want, buy ones you do... what actually shows up may vary but there were people there with everything from goats and pigs to llama/alpaca, caged birds (parakeet, cockatiel etc) and a huge variety of poultry breeds too.

Hey Canesisters - I am not that far from you - pass by Dinwiddie all the time. What breeds do you have?

Sharon Kinsey
Follow Your Dream Farm
www.followyourdreamfarm.net
Hi Sharon.
I've got a couple SLW - a couple speckled sussex - a couple australorp mixes - a couple EE's - a GLW and a little bunch of juvenile BCM/australorp mixes.
I've added all I want this year (till the coop and roost gets it's winter expansion)
But next spring I'm on the hunt for BLUE - blue feathers and blue eggs. Also want to add some barred and maybe something white.
LOL As you can tell - I'm more after a colorful flock & a colorful egg basket than any particular breeds. For me, they're just pets that have the wonderful side benefit of laying eggs.

we will be there with some cubalayas in black, white, and brown red. will also bring some oriental mixes and a few pure asil. the young lady that lost her hen to a hawk: i have a wheaton pullet for you.

thought i'd post up what I've gotten done on my new pens so far. still need to do roof and door ends, but so far so good.
the doors are built but not wired or hung yet, and the roosts went in while on my lunch break today.

thought i'd post up what I've gotten done on my new pens so far.  still need to do roof and door ends, but so far so good.
the doors are built but not wired or hung yet, and the roosts went in while on my lunch break today.

Nice job! I gotta say, if it was possible, these pens just might be overbuilt! I mean, wow, you're chickens are lucky!

Quote: yeah I have a tendency to go a bit overboard, but I tried to limit that on these guys. LOL if anything I think I skipped a few corners, but they're holding up nicely so far.

it's actually going to be a group of 8 pens when i'm done... but I designed them to be built in pairs, in order to save materials somewhat.

I've got enough materials now, to add 2 more on to these in the next week or so, but then i'll have to buy more lumber. I've got the plywood and wire, just the 2x's I need more of. but once I finish the next 2, then I have some brooders to make, to sell at Gilmanor. then I should have the $ for more lumber, i'd hope.
this is the eventual finished plan (kind of, there are errors on the design shown below)

Last edited:
NICE
thumbsup.gif

Sure wish I could hit some of the swaps, but I've worked every Saturday all summer, and it looks like I'm not getting one off until later this fall. Is there anyone withing a reasonable drive of SW VA selling some surplus egg layers, or future egg layers? I had the misfortune of buying 10 "unsexed" chicks that just so happened to be 10 roosters this spring. So I have 10 Roo's in the freezer, and would like to try to find some hens this time. I'd really like to get some EE's, but would consider other breeds too.

Sure wish I could hit some of the swaps, but I've worked every Saturday all summer, and it looks like I'm not getting one off until later this fall. Is there anyone withing a reasonable drive of SW VA selling some surplus egg layers, or future egg layers? I had the misfortune of buying 10 "unsexed" chicks that just so happened to be 10 roosters this spring. So I have 10 Roo's in the freezer, and would like to try to find some hens this time. I'd really like to get some EE's, but would consider other breeds too.
well, I have 4 dorking (possible cross), and an ee pullet for sure that are available. all around 7-8 weeks old... the only other (for sure) pullet I have is a bantam mille fleur cochin baby, about 5 weeks old or so.

I will also be thinning my dorkings down somewhat, so will probably have 4-5 mature dorking hens available. some silver grey, couple reds maybe, and one colored/silver grey cross (silver grey but has a black head). planned on taking them to Gilmanor...

otherwise, I will be setting some EE eggs on Friday (free ranged girls with dorking, Wyandotte, EE and SFH roosters) but they probably won't be laying until early spring at this point.

Back
Top Bottom